two.

CHAPTER TWO;
THE PROPOSITION.

today was better.

well, sort of.

el refused to allow the whispers and stolen glances to faze her as she moved through the halls of hawkins high. sure, she thought maybe people would've found some new gossip about some else to dish out by now, but nonetheless, she continued to ignore it all.

at least, she tried.

today was different than yesterday, though. the students of hawkins once pitiful eyes had changed and were now filled with shock and spite. she walked out of the bathroom earlier to find a group of girls just waiting to cast their cold glares on her.

but why would anyone be angry at her? she was the victim, here. she had been betrayed, she was the one with the aching heart in her chest.

el huffed, dropping her heavy chemistry textbook on her lab desk. running a hand through her slightly grown out waves, she plopped onto her stool.

"eleanor," the voice of her fiery red-headed friend chirps in a surprisingly formal tone.

el raises a brow, lifting her gaze to the girl taking the seat beside her. "maxine?" she returns, confused as to why they were greeting one another with their full names. she senses tension when max's eyes narrow towards her. she sighs. "are you serious? you're angry with me, too? what the hell is going on?"

"are you seriously going to play dumb?" max quizzes, not lightening up with her harsh glare.

"wait, what? i'm confused. what are you talking about?" el wonders, genuinely lost.

max sighs, giving up the cold shoulder act. "look, i'm not angry about you two, i just can't believe you didn't tell me! like how did it happen? no, here's a better question: when did it happen?"

the more words that fell from her rapid-paced lips, the more she confused the brunette beside her. "whoa, slow down. what the hell are you talking about?"

"what do you mean? i'm talking about the fact that you're dating mike wheeler."

and that was the moment eleanor jane hopper died.

okay, she didn't die, but she stopped breathing for a good, full minute.

"i'm dating who?" she asks, unable to process the ludicrous information that had just fried her circuits.

before her ginger lab partner can reply, in walks mr. green to announce that class was in session. he soon passed out their pop quiz, ensuring that no talking was to occur for the rest of the period.

after an excruciatingly quiet 45 minutes, the bell for lunch rang, and el could finally get to the bottom of whatever the hell was going on - or whatever people thought was going on, but isn't.

she grabbed her books, and walked out of the chemistry class with max. "where did you hear that mike and i are dating?" she queries as they head to their lockers to put away their books and head to lunch. she sees a smirk tug at her friend's lips, giving her a teasing shrug. "did mike tell you that?"

max laughs, "nah, i heard about it in spanish this morning. and then, some girls were bitching about it, claiming they had dibs on him for when he and brooke called it quits." she goes on, "so, how did you two --" she stops when el opens her locker, only to stick her head inside. "um, what are you doing?"