twelve.

CHAPTER TWELVE;
HEATED.

"i want to die."

el couldn't help but crack a smile as she exited her chemistry class beside her best friend. "that's the spirit, maxine," she chimes back, patting her shoulder comfortingly.

"i'm serious. everyone knows. i can't believe he told people. ugh, screw him. i have no idea what i ever saw in that piece of shit." el knew the ginger's words were rooted from a place of heartbreak and that she was still very much in love with the deep-skinned boy.

el only nods in support. "totally."

"let's eat in the courtyard. i'm scared if i see his stupid face i'll vomit on impulse," she explains, walking past the lunchroom and to the doors that led to the yard of picnic tables.

as soon as the chilly november hit her cheeks, el shivered and pulled her jacket tighter around her. "are you sure you wouldn't rather eat in the library. it's really cold, max."

max shrugged, "i like cold." unwillingly, the brunette nods and takes a seat at one of the wooden tables.

it didn't exactly take long before max started munching on el's lunch, not that she really cared.

"have you seen him?" max suddenly asks, chomping on one of el's sun chips.

"who?" she asks, genuinely confused.

the girl's piercing blue eyes roll, "lucas, of course."

"oh! uh, no. not since friday. i think mike went over to his house yesterday, but i'm not sure. apparently he never went to that party so," she trailed off, keeping her mind from lingering on the thought of that party.

max nods. "i hope he went home and cried like a fucking baby." el giggles. while she hated seeing her friend going through such heartbreak, she had to admit her fiery insults were pretty amusing.

"uh, el?" an unfamiliar voice beckons from behind her. drawing her brows together, she tosses her gaze over her shoulder to find dean clark lingering nervously. she only really knew him from a few classes she's had with him over the years, but they never actually spoke.

"hi, dean?" she returned, unsure as to why he approached her.

he smiles, scratching the back of his head. "hey, okay, i know we don't really know each so this might be really weird, but i felt like you should know."

her brows raise, glancing to max before back to him. "okay? what's up?"

"you're still dating mike wheeler, right?" he asks, taking a seat beside her. she hesitantly nods. "well, i think he's cheating on you with brooke."

el's eyes widen. she wasn't expecting him to say that, clearly. "oh?"

"yeah, i was avery's party on friday night, and i saw them go into a room together. i really didn't want to tell you, but i felt you had a right to know," he explains, apologetically.

"oh, i'm going to fucking kill him, too!" max exclaims, her already pink cheeks turning red.

el shrugs, hoping to play it off. "thank you, dean, but i think you might've misinterpreted it. they're still friends, and he told me she wanted to talk to him that night. i knew about it," she somewhat lies. "i really appreciate you telling me, though."