Chapter 9 - 2am Walk

I had learnt that there truly wasn't much important information or clues yet. This proved the coming up with theories an excruciatingly painful and difficult task which reaped no rewards. I had given up after trying to make everything add up, but with so much information missing, anything could have been possible. Not that I wasn't helping. I had booked flights back to Pennsylvania for tomorrow, and we would be back there with a few hours to survey court before nightfall. I felt poignant—and angry at the other guardians. At least one of them, if not two, should be stuck to her side at all times, not leaving unless it was to tackle a strigoi, or anything else that threatened Lissa's safety. I was also upset at the guardians monitoring the gate, but some place inside me knew better, they had most likely fallen prey of some compulsion.

"Rose, we need to get some sleep before we leave. As much as possible." Dimitri says, studying my face. I sigh and get up from my seat.

I wake up to darkness. I pick up my phone without disrupting Dimitri—who was asleep with his arms around me—to check the time. The screen displayed that it was just past two am. I readjust my position, and Dimitri wakes up. Us dhampir guardians were taught to sleep lightly, and to wake up at the slightest noise or movement.

"Roza are you okay?" He asks sleepily. It was pretty cute. However, I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more if my best friend being missing wasn't stuck on my mind.

"I am fine." I think about my word choice and clarify. "Well, as okay as I could be right now."

Dimitri wraps his arms around me protectively. I relax into his embrace. It was amazing how he could make me feel safe in the most haunting experiences. I bet if we were surrounded by strigoi and he held me like this, I would feel entirely at peace. Right now, I wanted to do things with him—anything—especially the more intimate of things.

But we couldn't. Not with what was going on, and I didn't feel right doing it at his family's home. I felt bad enough sharing his bedroom! We had to get Lissa back, and I was prepared to do anything it took to do so. Even if it meant sacrificing my life for hers. Most guardians were one of the most selfless people you would ever meet in your life, and I was one of them. We had it ingrained in us since were tiny, innocent people that the moroi came first.

"I can't get back to sleep." I whine, sitting up. Dimitri groggily heaves his tall torso up to look me in the eyes.

"Roza, it's two am." He says. "You have plenty of time to try and fall back asleep."

"Exactly. Try. I sure can try, but I know for sure I won't be able to sleep. I can't just lie there awake. I need to do something to keep my mind off Lissa." I get up and change into some ripped jeans and a t-shirt that were sitting neatly beside the bed. "I'm going for a walk. You can go back to sleep now, I won't disturb you any longer." I pick up my stake and phone, sliding both of them into their respective places on my belt.

"Rose, it is dark outside. In Siberia. Think about it for a second. Do you really think you should go out there?"

There he goes with his teacher stuff. "Last time I checked, I was a fully trained guardian. You aren't my mentor anymore Dimitri. You can't tell me what to do."

I could handle killing some strigoi. But obviously Dimitri seems to think the opposite and rolls his eyes. "I know I am not your mentor anymore. I am your boyfriend and I care about you and I want you to be safe."

I couldn't find anything to say in response, so instead I turn around and walk out. Not my best idea, to say that much, but I knew what I wanted, I had my stake, and I didn't need a man to warm me of the dangers as if I didn't know.