Chapter 1: The Meeting

AN: random, short and unbeta-ed

Maggie burst into the clearing, panting. She looked up and sighed.

"Hey, we met again." She said, sarcastically.

She was back at the foot of the volcano. She, along with her newfound travel buddies, Ate Ria and Kuya Peter was already traveling through the next mountain (she actually didn't understand why they couldn't just travel by jeep, but anyway) when some sort of creatures--lamang lupa, blocked their path.

Neither Ria nor Peter seemed particularly surprised but Maggie had started panicking. It was the first time she saw things like that. A battle had started and at first the older couple was relaxed and nonchalant but then more lamang lupa had appeared and there was an instant where Maggie was almost mauled.

Ria had then told her to go back here by Mayon, because according to her, she would be able to protect herself better here. Maggie didn't quite understand that, either, but since she decided to trust them, she just did as she was told.

Maggie had started screaming when someone else had burst into the clearing. She was sure it was a lamang lupa.

"Woah!"

Maggie abruptly stopped and looked at the intruder.

It wasn't a creature but a boy. A boy around her age, holding a camera.

Their eyes met and suddenly Maggie felt different.

He seemed really familiar, but Maggie was sure he had never seen him before.

"Hello?" The boy started saying, walking slowly towards her. "Are you alright?"

Maggie was confused right then. Who was he? What was she feeling? And why was he there by the foot of an active volcano, with lava slowly dripping from the cone in the middle of the night?

"Uhm yes?" She answered in a little voice. "Can I help you? Are you lost?" She asked.

The boy suddenly smiled. And for a moment, Maggie was distracted.

"I actually wanted to ask you that." He said with a chuckle. He was closer now.

"But no, I'm not lost. I just wanted to have a closer look at her." He continued saying, pointing at the volcano. "She's such a beauty."

"Thanks." Maggie slipped and hastily slapped her mouth shut with her hand. She was sure she was blushing.

But the boy only smiled, seemingly not getting what she meant.

The boy looked back on the volcano and held his phone up, moving closer to it. Maggie just watched him curiously for a while.

"You're from here?" He said after taking many shots of Mayon.

Maggie was a little startled at being addressed, but answered anyway.

"Ah, not here, exactly." Maggie said.

The boy laughed. Maggie kinda likes his laughter.

"I figured that. I don't think anyone lives here." He said.

"I mean, I'm from a different town." Maggie clarified. "You? You're a tourist?" She asked in return.

"Ah. My mom's Bicolana." He said. "But I haven't met her. She died." He said casually, still smiling.

"Oh, sorry." Maggie hastily said. "My parents died, too. In a fire." She found herself saying. She didn't even know herself why she was being so honest.

"Mine died in a storm." The boy shared. "Only me and my brother survived. But it's okay since we have a new family now."

Maggie smiled. "That's goo--"