BOOK 1 // EPILOGUE: Darkness Rises

Camila had been beaten, purple and blue marks littered her skin

Camila had been beaten, purple and blue marks littered her skin. I had no sympathy for her.

"You know why you are here, Camila?" I asked. The pack stood by, surveying the scene, gazes of judgment cast in her direction. She would find no friends among them. It didn't matter that Dove had been a human, she wasn't anymore. She was my mate and an Alpha now in her own right. They would either fall in line or they would be forced to recognize her position.

"I do, Alpha." She dropped her head, going to her knees. "Please forgive me."

"You are beyond forgiveness. If I had my way you would be dead. You deserve death," I said, voice low.

Camila flinched, digging her fingers into the dirt as if that would keep her from breaking apart. "Alpha, Please..."

"But...I am going to spare your life only because that is what Dove has asked of me." At my words, she lifted her tear-stained face, glassy eyes shifting from me to Dove. They stared at each other in silence, before she dropped her head in shame. It shouldn't have been this way but she had made her choices, and her jealousy and greed had driven her to this point.

"Instead you will be banished from this pack and my territory. If you ever show your face around here again—" I took a step forward, the air around me vibrating with the fury that I was containing. "I will make sure that you suffer the punishment that you've escaped because of the kindness of my mate. My mercy will be given only once."

Camila lifted her face toward me. "Alpha..." I could hear her need to plead for my forgiveness, but I tuned her out, taking a step back. "Mother, she's all yours." I turned my back as my mother stepped from the crowd, eyes fixed on Camila.

"She was the one that told me—"

Astrid silenced her with a strike from the back of her hand. "Silence. I've heard enough lies from your traitorous tongue. You know what it means to be banished, open your mouth but don't speak."

Camila lifted her face, body trembling as she opened her mouth as she had been ordered to do. I watched as my mother reached in and grabbed hold of a canine tooth. "For betraying your Alpha." She ripped it free from the root. Dove stiffened at the scream of pain that echoed out.

I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, pulling her close. "Don't worry, they will grow back in a couple of months..." I whispered. "I know you don't want to watch but it's almost over."

She gritted teeth but turned back to the scene with a deep frown as Astrid took the other canine. "For betraying the pack." Another broken cry fell from Camila's lips, before she fell forward, silent sobs shaking her weathered body. She was the perfect example for what happened to those that broke the rules of the Alpha, the perfect example for what happened to those that tried to reach for power that was never meant to be theirs.

"Get up, Camila," I said as I pulled away from Dove, barely giving the female time to grieve over her mistakes and what had been lost because of her choices. Slowly, Camila pulled herself up off the ground, wavering on her feet as blood slipped from her mouth and down her chin. She stared forward with a hollow look in her eyes. "It's time for you to run on."

She stumbled a step back before turning away from Astrid and me, walking toward the tree line. The crowd moved with her, like hungry predators nipping at her heels. I stood beside Dove, watching as they all disappeared from view the sound of hunting howls carrying on the breeze.

"They aren't going to kill her, right?"

"I gave you my word, Dove. They won't kill her." I turned my gaze toward my mother who disappeared into the tree line. Dace sent a look in my direction as he followed her. There was one last thing I had to handle, but I didn't want Dove involved. "Why don't you go wait at the house? Kendrick and the others should be arriving soon."

She gave me a questioning look, before giving me a quick kiss. "You won't be long?"

"Promise," I said, watching her go for a moment before I turned and walked to the woods. My feet felt like they were filled with lead, heart heavy. It took a couple of minutes to find them.

"You think you can command me?" My mother's voice echoed through the trees.

Dace stood, blocking her path.

She spun towards me. "What's the meaning of this?"

"This is about what Camila tried to tell us earlier."

She stiffened. "Lies."

"I wish that were so," I said, my tone full of the anger and betrayal that burned in my bones. "Don't try to deny it. I figured out the truth—all of it."

"It was all for you my precious son." She touched her hand to my face and it took everything in me not to slap it away.

"She's my mate. You tried to take her from me," I said, voice raising. "Not only that, you manipulated members of this pack and now they suffer for your sins."

"Forgive me," she said, pleading as her hands fell limp to her side.

"It's not just my forgiveness you need."

She clutched at her shirt, fisting it with blood-stained fingers. "I couldn't lose you, not after your father."

"You would've never lost me. You'll always be my mother." I pulled her into a hug. A sob pulled from her chest and I sunk deeper into the darkness. My heart splintering. Dace met my gaze over her shoulder, face blank as he knew already what I intended to do.

Sucking in a deep breath, I reached up fast and twisted her head. The sound of bone snapping filled my ears with a sharp ringing. Her body fell limp against me. I was hollow. There was no coming back from this, but for Dove – I'd be the monster. I'd forsake my soul to keep the other monsters out of her life. "Take her body to the edge of my territory. Make it look like an accident, perhaps a mountain lion found her."

Dace said nothing as he lifted my mother's body away from me, cradling her in his arms. She'd been his mother just as much as she'd been mine. I stood and watched him until he disappeared from view. Emotions swelled in my chest, threatening to overwhelm me. I pushed them down as deep as I could. This was the last secret I'd keep from Dove, I told myself. This wasn't something she needed to know about.

I walked back to the house, a numbness wrapping itself around my heart.

When I opened the door, Dove was seated on the couch as stiff as a board, a piece of paper in her hand.

"What do you have there?"

"It was in the mailbox." Her voice was void of emotion.

I sat down next to her, making sure not to touch her. A part of me afraid she'd somehow know my mind by a simple touch. Taking the letter from her hand, my eyes scanned the words. My stomach rolled and sweat leaked from my palms. This was the last thing I needed.

Dove turned to me, eyes wide. "They say they know what we are Rhys. They could expose us to the world—what are we going to do?"

I blinked, slow. I had no idea what to do—my eyes dropped to her hands. A picture of a familiar face set in her lap. My mouth went dry and I reached for it with a shaky hand. "Where did you get this?"

"It came with the letter," she said, brows furrowing. "Do you know her?"

"Yeah—" I swallowed. It felt surreal to be staring down at someone I had believed to be a ghost. "That's Kendrick's mate."

This could only mean one thing, our old enemy had come out of hiding.