Chapter 1

Please consider reading the updated version of this story, which can be found on my profile. <3

***

Soon to be lawyer Courtney Barlow sat at her desk in her dorm room, head in hands. Next to her was a large stack of papers, so many she felt waist-deep in them. Everything had to be finished by the end of the week, and it didn't really help that her boyfriend Scott cheated on her.

It was all she could think about. She knew that Scott most likely didn't deserve someone smart and beautiful like her. But she didn't understand why he would do such a thing when she knew he could trust her not to. And now that the finals were coming up Courtney didn't know what to do, because all she really had her mind on was getting revenge on him. The problem was, she still didn't know who he cheated on her with.

Revenge wasn't typical for a "type-A" girl like Courtney, but to really feel better she knew she had to do something. Or else, she felt all of her work would never get done. That also wasn't like her. But Courtney knew she had to get her mind off of it and show him who she really was, because he clearly didn't know. He didn't know of how powerful she really was, and there was no way in hell he would suspect anything Courtney was going to do. She just hadn't thought of it yet.

Just then, Courtney's bossy room mate Heather came into the room, laughing as she closed the door behind her. As the door was open Courtney turned and saw her boyfriend Alejandro behind her, holding an obnoxious bouquet of balloons. Courtney rolled her eyes as Heather hung up her coat. It reminded her of how it was Alejandro's birthday, so that meant tomorrow was Scott's.

Courtney smirked just thinking about it. She had to come up with something before then so he could learn of how she felt when they branched off...

"What's that face for?" Heather demanded as she sat down on the bed close to Courtney. Heather was the first person that Courtney told when she and Scott broke up. She kind of had to because when Courtney came into the room and collapsed into bed bawling, Heather wouldn't shut up about it. So Courtney told her everything.

As Courtney had told her with a slur, "Scott has been cheating on me."

Heather had raised a brow and sat down next to Courtney, who was lying down with her face in her pillow. "Could you like lift your face out of the pillow? I didn't-"

Courtney had raised her head up and turned to Heather with a face as red as a tomato. "Scott cheated on me!"

To be truthful, Heather didn't care. In her mind she was thinking, it's not my relationship so why should I even bother? But seeing how Courtney seemed like a whale washed ashore, she decided to talk about it. And maybe it would get her to shut up. "How long have you been together?"

Courtney had moaned and slammed her face back into the pillow. "A year. A freaking year! I mean, who does that?"

Heather had been really tempted to ask Courtney who he cheated on her with, but she decided not to ask. She wasn't really sure how to comfort her, so she just rubbed Courtney's back as she sobbed. Heather could recall Courtney going on dates with Scott and talking about him all the time, so she was obviously committed. And now, seeing Courtney like this, she actually began to feel bad for her.

But hey, she still had Alejandro, so why did she even care?

Back in reality, Courtney didn't feel like talking about it. Although seeing as Heather wasn't the kindest woman on the planet, she could probably help Courtney get back at Scott. So, she turned away from her desk and endless pile of paper to meet Heather's bored gray gaze. "I need to get back at Scott."

Heather's face turned with sudden interest. "Okay..."

Courtney continued, "I want him to feel the pain that he bestowed upon me. I need him to understand what I've been going through these past few days, and to see that I am not a force to be reckoned with."

"So you're going to ask me for help." Heather asked flatly. She tried not to show it but excitement bubbled in her to be doing something manipulative for the first time in forever.

Courtney nervously rubbed her arm. "I mean, I guess. I'm not saying that you're like, bad or anything, but you would definitely have better ideas than me."

Heather nodded "Okay, I understand. Your feelings are a little deprived right now. And I've already got something in mind that I think you'll like."

"Already?" Courtney wondered as Heather stood up and walked across the room.

Heather bent down to reach the bottom drawer of her own desk. Where she pulled out a large golden genie bottle with a scary looking skull on it. Courtney tilted her head to the side as Heather came back over to her and gave it over.

"What is this?" Courtney asked as she examined it. She went to open it but as her hand curled over the cap Heather put her hand over top of hers.

"What does it look like?" Heather whispered. "It's a genie bottle."

"And what am I supposed to do with it?"

Heather sighed. "Don't you know anything about genies?"

"That they don't exist?" Courtney recalled. "You get three wishes and you're supposed to wish for a million more? I mean, that's what everyone should do." She examined the bottle. "Where did you even get this anyways?"

"Dawn from the coffee shop gifted it to me. She's a weird one," Heather shrugged. "I thought it was fake when I first got it, but trust me, it isn't."

"Well then let me open it!" Courtney demanded. "And why are you re-gifting?"

"I got my three wishes. From there the genie goes back into the bottle and waits for someone new to open it so he can grant three more. So it's your turn I suppose."

Courtney smirked, examining the bottle. "So I can wish for something like... shoot Scott with a missile?"

Heather's eyes widened. "If that's really what you want... damn Courtney! I didn't know you had a bad side!"

"I don't. It's just the first impossible thing that came to my mind before I asked you and you gave this to me."

They both laughed and Heather got to her feet. "Okay, have fun with that. I figured it's the best I can do. I really don't like having you sitting around here crying all the time. It's annoying."

Courtney brushed off her comment and watched Heather. "Where are you going?"

Heather was facing the mirror now, tucking away loose hairs from her ponytail. "Alejandro is expecting me soon, we're going bowling with Lindsay and Tyler. You can join us if you want?"

"Um, no thanks." Courtney rejected. "I have a lot of work to get done..." She glanced sorrowfully at the pile of papers on her desk. But she knew she wasn't going to touch it if she had something different to be interested in resting in her hands.

"Alright, well have fun with the genie." Heather told her as she began to slip out the door. "Oh, and be careful, because the genie is kind of a bitch."