Epilogue: 6 Years Later (Avery's POV)

Epilogue

6 Years Later

Avery's POV

Dayley was right. I think, staring up at my old house. It really does bring back the old me. Our old shack of a house might have been remodeled by it's new owners, but I can still see the past. I remember the damaged shingles, the rotting shutters; even the dilapidated rooms and kitchen door. I guess I didn't notice them before, because, to me, they were normal. Even though I see the past, I remember a better part of it. For the first time in 6 years, the memories of my mother, my dad, Julian, and I as a family come swirling back. This time they don't bring pain, confusion, or frustration, but only what they brought when the events happened in real life. Joy and love. Feelings I haven't felt in a long time. I wish Julian could be here, see the house with me, but his social worker, Dayley, said that it could trigger his old behaviors and habits. The negative ones, of course. I swear I'm just staring at the house like a lunatic because eventually, some random guy reading a book walks up to me.

"Hi. Are you okay?" he asks.

"Yeah, just visiting my old house."

"I know."

Alarmed, I turn to look at the creepy guy who knows where I live - or at least where I used to live. At first, I almost don't recognize him without his chunky black glasses, crooked teeth, and dwarfed frame.

My eyes well up with tears as all the bad memories come swirling back. The kids at the children's home that picked on me, the teacher's who spent so much time on the bad kids that they never had time for my questions; Julian being taken away to a place that could help him with his drug addiction. "I hate you."

"Avery, it was for the best," Jackson says, grabbing my arm, "I had to."

"I was fine how I was! Just leave me alone! I knew all along you were bad - that you are bad!"

"Avery, I'm sorry. I know it hurt you - that I hurt you, but look at you now. No bruises, no secrets.

"I have secrets."

"Like what?"

Once again, Jackson Kitt lures me in. Well, I don't know if it's him or the fact that I've needed a friend for so long now.

"Ms. Chevy came to talk to me. She told me all about how you told her. Then Dad came home and well...Ms. Chevy almost got hurt. Not too soon after that, Julian and I ended up in a children's home and Dad was preparing for his trial. Julian and I were separated once he got used to his social worker, Dayley. He had to be sent away to a special hospital for a year and didn't graduate until he was 20. It took him a while to convince Dayley and the government to let me stay with him, but it never happened. I graduated just the other month after going through the torture of not being able to make friends for 6 years straight because I was afraid my story might get out. I'm kind of unsure what to do now."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

I don't answer, wondering if I should be mad or grateful towards Jackson.

"Okay, well...I changed to you know."

"Obviously," I say, "For firsts, you grew."

Jackson smiles. "You noticed! I'm still on the short side though, 5' 7". Anyways, high school's big on academics so when the guys noticed how much I enjoyed school in 11th grade, I kind of just sank to the bottom of the social pyramid. But it was worth it, 'cause I got into Baylor."

"So that's what next for you?"

"College, I guess. What about you?"

"I don't know. I don't have a scholarship to anywhere so I won't really be able to go to a good college or university and everytime I apply for a job people worry about my past."

"Avery?"

"What?"

"I don't know what's ahead for you either, but I'll be there for you."

That's how I know. I'll no longer be the girl in the corner, sitting by herself secretly starving or hiding her feelings and scars from the world and especially not from the people that cared the most. I know, no matter what I say, Jackson will be there for me. He won't leave me at the doorstep ever again.

The End