Arc 1, Ch. 1 - Scared

Author: undefmidi

Creative Commons © Non-Commercial, Attrib.

---

Arc 1 – Lost

Ch.1 – Scared

---

I adored them.

Their heroic feats were nothing short of amazing and inspiring. They smiled in front of gigantic threats and saved countless lives along with their companions.

Those companions stood beside them pridefully. From titanic draconian creatures to the enthralling fantastic fairies - They were Beasts, creatures with enough power to challenge an entire troop of soldiers.

Those heroic people were the revered Beast Knights, respected all over the territory of Brynfelt.

And I wanted to become like them: to help those in need, to smile in front of peerless enemies while brandishing an unwavering sword and commanding a powerful and mighty Beast.

But it wouldn't be simple. It never is.

"Look at that loser. Dreaming about the impossible!"

I couldn't help it. Dreaming is part of humanity, so why am I being bashed for it? What part of me is so different from the rest?

"Pfft! Haven't you heard? Even after finding out that he was one of the majority without a Crest, he kept on talking back to the doctor!"

Oh yeah... I forgot that I have no Magical Crest, the single most important requirement to become a Beast Knight. How stupid of me.

I sighed.

However, can't I just keep admiring them? Is it wrong for me to keep doing so?

"Why doesn't he grow up? Isn't he tired of being so childish?"

Okay, I get it! But I am a child. A 13-year old one at that.

Clearing away those thoughts with a sigh, I walked through the lively streets, noticing the colorful melting pot of people, ranging from the small, yet strong dwarves, to the diverse demi-humans. Brynfelt was truly a peaceful kingdom for the multi-racial crowd.

The birds chirped peacefully, touching with their bare wings the pristine cerulean sky. The Sun warmly welcomed whoever it saw in a hug whilst I happily smiled at the younger children running around, playing.

Surely, this is a peaceful village. There isn't much action regarding any of the recent incidents I've been mentioned about. It's not like they are common anyway.

I smiled whilst glancing around.

Again, I love this place. It's just so peaceful and loving. Surely, nothing could go wrong here - is what I would say if I didn't know any better. Everyone knows that this phrase is the invitation for trouble.

I won't risk saying it. Don't wanna die, thank you.

I took another turn towards my objective. My mom told me to fetch some fresh apples from my grandpa's house.

I know the way from home to there like I know the numbers of fingers I have on my hands... Was it nine?

I'm joking, I'm joking...

"Oops!" I bumped into someone by accident while taking a turn.

"Be careful of where you're going, mist- Kyel! It's nice to see ya!" An old voice reached my ears.