Arc 1, Ch. 11 - Clogged Throat

Arc 1 – Lost

Ch. 11 – Clogged throat

...

He had finished the Beast with quick and sharp movements. There was nothing left of it—

only lumps of coal bestrewn on the floor.

My hands clenched small rocks on the ground while I gulped. I had never seen anything as amazing as this up close. I had only heard of the tales of his exploits beforehand.

He swung his sword once more. The blood that stained the blade splattered to the ground, leaving only shimmering steel. With a quick spin of his wrist, he sheathed his sword, resounding with an audible clank throughout the cave.

He stepped closer to the dragon and caressed its scarlet scales. The Beast huffed a small puff of smoke in delight and nuzzled the knight's hand.

"You've done well."

After that warm moment, the knight locked his eyes to mine. Withdrawing his hand from the dragon, he walked up to me.

"Can you stand up?"

"Y-yeah..."

I stood up and slapped my clothes, brushing the dust off of them.

"Ouch, ouch, ouch..."

My body stung. Although the pain was tolerable, the blast's impact still lingered through my body. That explosion was probably the most effective way of separating me and that Beast, so this was inevitable.

"Sorry about that."

"N-no problem."

I can't really wrap my head around the fact that the Crimson Dragon is right in front of me. Not that it's any crazier than falling into a hole and somehow still surviving three attacks from dangerous Beasts... In any case, I shook those remarks away.

Without taking his attention off of me, the knight began to rub his thumb on the pommel of his sword, tracing the carvings. It was probably a habit, so I paid no mind.

"Well, what are you doing in this place? Certainly, you're not here for a stroll." His finger began tapping on the pommel.

I took a deep breath and reorganized my thoughts. I didn't want to waste time with unnecessary details.

"I got attacked by that... heap of coal, then I fell in a hole and eventually got here."

"Hm? Unscathed?"

"I don't really... r-remember. I only feel like my back's been stinging up until now, though it wasn't bothering me as much, so I just ignored it." I fiddled with my fingers.

"I'll take you to a doctor. You need to get checked up..."

He caressed a scar on his chin.

"... Sometimes, the smallest things are the most dangerous, so be aware."

"I-I'll take note of that!"

"Loosen up, I'm not going to eat you... She would, probably."

The dragon bumped her nose on the knight, just like how my younger sister did when I teased her.

"It's a joke. She's the nicest dragon I've met."

The dragon gave a friendly growl to me. Shakily, I smiled and waved.

It was really heartwarming. I could've never guessed that the Crimson Dragon would be so approachable.

"Um... I-I thought the Crimson Dragon would be, y-you know... stern?"