two days later

When Newt shows up two days later, he runs, not wanting to waste any time. Everyone is busy around him. Building, gathering, talking, eating. But he doesn't take the time to look at them today. No, today he needs to see Thomas.

The first few times he'd come there, he'd stayed for a while. Sat down and observed the conversations, stood in the water, watched his friends from across the room, smiled at their progress. But after a while, he noticed something.

Every time he randomly appeared, he was drawn to Thomas. And another pattern he'd noticed was the necklace. Any time Newt has come to him without having to find him first, he's touching the necklace. So Newt figured eventually that his visits were Thomas' doing.

That's when he started trying to contact him. Talking to him, trying to touch his arm, anything. Every time he tries it gets a little easier, and now, if he's right, he might have finally not only been felt, but seen.

When Newt finds Thomas, he's sitting with Minho, Brenda, Fry, and Gally at a round table in the otherwise empty hut, looking more than off. There are bags under his eyes and an untouched plate of food in front of him, but he looks more awake than ever, looking at his friends.

The rest of them look concerned, their gazes switching between Thomas and each other.

"Don't do that," Thomas says, shaking his head. "You don't understand, you didn't see."

"Thomas..." Brenda trails off, her expression a mix of sadness and pity.

"I'm not crazy," Thomas says.

Newt sits beside Thomas, being able to because everyone else is more grouped together, leaving Thomas mostly isolated on his side.

"Nobody said that," Minho says. "But, man... if I told you this, would you not question me?"

Thomas' jaw hardens as he looks at them. "So you don't believe me?"

"All I know is that you look like you haven't slept in a week, and that you miss him," Minho says softly. "You're smart, Thomas. You know you'd be thinking the same thing."

Thomas scoffs. "Great. Thanks," he says, going to get up.

"Thomas, hold on," Gally chimes in, the rest of the group looking at him surprised. Clearly Thomas shares the same reaction, because he stays, looking up. "After the maze, I thought I saw Chuck everywhere. I thought that maybe if I lived, he did too. It nearly drove me insane."

Thomas seems to consider this for a second, making Newt upset. He's not crazy. Newt's there.

"Did he touch your hand?" Thomas asks, relief flooding through Newt. He's not giving up.

Gally just looks at him, all of them sharing the same worried expression.

"Okay, man," Fry says, nodding. "Say you did see Newt. What now?"

Thomas looks thrown off by someone actually giving him the time of day, stuttering. "I-I don't know. I just... haven't been able to shake this feeling I get. Like he's still here."

"Like when?" Brenda asks.

"It's always there, but sometimes it gets so strong, it's like... it feels like he's standing right in front of me. And then sometimes I feel this weird pressure, then it's gone," Thomas says.

"Is it happening now?" Minho asks.

This is Newt's cue.

"You're not crazy. It's me," Newt says, going for Thomas' hand again, which is resting on the table. This time he focuses all of his energy into his thumb, hoping only using a small part of him will help him not get so drained so quick. If it worked last time, it should work now.

Newt isn't sure if Thomas can genuinely feel it or if he does it by chance, but he seems to relax himself, staying still and closing his eyes. If he's looking for a sign from Newt, now's the time.

"Come on, Tommy. I'm here," Newt says, rubbing his thumb in circles on the other boy's hand, putting all his thought and hope into it. He channels everything. How desperate he is, how much he misses being there-really being there.

In a worried burst of energy, Newt presses harder, finally feeling Thomas' skin. He smiles, looking up from Thomas' hand and to his face to find him smiling down.

"Everything's okay," Newt finds himself saying, trying to send it to Thomas somehow. "Look at me."

Thomas looks to his left first, but then switches to look at his right, right through Newt. He moves his head to be looking into Thomas' eyes again, pressing harder.

The both of them stay there this time, smiling. Newt feels weak, but he doesn't care, knowing it's working. He can tell Thomas doesn't see him, but he knows he feels him, and that's enough for right now.

"He's here," Thomas says, not looking away, the smile still plastered on.

"How do you know?" Minho asks.

"I feel him," Thomas says.

Newt doesn't want to break their connection, still holding Thomas' hand in his, but he feels himself getting weaker by the second.

"How?" Brenda asks.

"I feel him here, next to me. There's this little spot on my hand, and it feels like he's... touching it somehow. I can't explain it," Thomas says.

"I could kiss you right now, Tommy," Newt laughs, not being able to believe what he's hearing. "Wonder how that'd work. If you could hear me, you'd be laughing."

"Is it still... is he still there?" Gally asks. Thomas nods.

"I can feel when he's gone," Thomas says. "It doesn't last long."

"Not long enough, I can barely get a bloody thing done," Newt says.

"Newt," Thomas starts. Newt nods, knowing Thomas can't see but trying anyway. Thomas is about to talk to him. "If you're really here, I just-"