the end

When he gets back to the safe haven two days later, he turns to look at his name on the rock again. Just as permanent as the others. Alby, Chuck, Winston, Ben, Teresa, Clint, Zart, Jeff; all his friends that didn't make it.

From the glade, all that remains is Thomas, Minho, Gally and Frypan. Newt believes in them. Especially if they have each other.

The anger and sadness that'd been building up from his past few times here is gone, replaced with a sense of calm. The sky is a beautiful blue, the sun shining bright. It hits the monolith at such an angle that it seems to shine, making Newt smile.

He takes his time walking to the hut he knows Thomas is in. Everyone is busy working, talking, going about their days. It's peaceful. It's their home.

Thomas, Minho, Gally, Frypan and Brenda are eating lunch, sitting around the table. Newt observes them for a few minutes, trying to look at Thomas.

He's actually eating his food a little, and Newt is glad to see it. He's not laughing loudly and talking like the rest of them, he's quiet, but there's a small smile on his face. It's enough to let Newt know he's doing the right thing.

"This shuckface throws me the piece of wood, giving me no warning, and it slams into the side of my head," Minho says, everyone laughing.

"That was not my fault," Gally laughs. "You turned after I threw it."

"Were you aiming for my head?" Minho says, his trademark smirk on his face.

"Maybe I was," Gally says. "If we're telling embarrassing stories, I've got one of Fry."

"I think we all have one of Fry," Brenda says.

"Hey!" Frypan laughs. "I've got dirt on all of you."

"As good as the sand incident?" Gally asks.

"Don't you dare man," Fry says.

Newt finally walks over, putting a hand on Thomas' shoulder.

"Can we talk, Tommy?"

Thomas jumps up, everyone else looking at him.

"Excuse me a moment," Thomas says.

"You good?" Brenda asks.

Minho looks at Thomas and Thomas nods. "I'm fine. I'll be back in a minute."

Minho and Brenda share a quick look but let Thomas go.

Thomas walks out, not stopping 'til he gets to a small secluded area behind one of the huts. "Newt?" he asks. "Are you here?"

Newt puts a hand on Thomas shoulder and concentrates. He's not tired today, so it doesn't take him long.

"Hey, Tommy," Newt says, giving him a smile. "Let's talk."

"About what?" Thomas asks. "You're making me nervous."

"Don't be," Newt says. Thomas nods, so he continues, putting his hand back down to his side. "I was scared back in the maze, when I climbed that wall. When Minho found me I was in so much pain, I've never felt worse. But it gave me a second chance. When you came up in that box, I felt like I got something back. I got my fight back."

"Newt..." Thomas trails off.

"When I died, I was mostly afraid of hurting you. So you being alive, Minho being alive, all this? That's what I died for. It was worth it," Newt says. "I'm happy. I'm happy seeing that you guys made it."