CHAPTER NINETEEN

My phone woke me the next morning and I groaned when I saw that it was past eleven. “Hello?”

“Hi!” Becky chirped at me.

I swore under my breath and buried my head under my pillow. “Whatdoyouwand?”

“What?”

“Hold on.” I sat up and wiped at my face. I needed to wake up. I couldn’t handle how alert she sounded at that moment. “Hi…”

“Did you just wake up?”

When I tried to straighten my legs, they cramped up and I bit back more curses. Pain throbbed in them and I knew it was from the running. How long had I gone last night?

“Sam!”

“What?” I readjusted the phone when I felt myself waken more. “Tell me you’re not going to bed now.”

“I’m not.” She giggled. “But my folks are going to the Fallen Crest Country Club with Adam’s family. My mom wanted me to invite you. We’d pay for your entry and everything else is on Adam’s dad. He has some account with the club, I think.”

“Since when do you guys go to the Country Club?”

“My parents aren’t members, but we go with Adam’s parents sometimes. They’re members.”

That sounded right.

And then a different thought formed. “Is my mom a member there?”

She giggled again. “Do you mean is James Kade a member?”

I groaned. I’d forgotten she knew, hell—everyone knew. Maybe. I could spread a rumor that I paid the Kade brothers to act like they knew me. People would eat that up in an instant. Things would all go back to how they should’ve been, with me being alone.

“I have lots of gossip to tell you about last night too.” She sounded breathless in her excitement and I perked up. Whatever it was would be good, or I hoped. I could use some gossip that had nothing to do with me.

“Okay. What time do you want me over there?” I swung my legs over and stood. They were a bit wobbly, but I pushed past it and hurried into my bathroom. “Should I meet you at the club?”

“We could pick you up?”

“Becky.”

“Okay, okay. Yeah, meet us at the club. We’re going to leave soon so call me when you get to the parking lot.”

“Sounds good.”

“Oh and I think Adam’s bringing Tanya.”

“Who’s Tanya?” Then I remembered. “Is her cousin going to be there too?”

“I hope not.” Becky kept giggling. “See you there!”

“See you,” I mumbled into the phone before I ended the call and set it down. I frowned at it for a moment. She sounded very perky and very excited. Becky like that, with Adam bringing a girl, couldn’t mean anything good…could it? Was I being paranoid?

I rolled my eyes at my reflection and went to work. My hair was a ratted mess, but by the time I had dressed in black skinny pants and a loose white long-sleeve shirt, my hair was back to its normal self. Straight and a little dull. It was how I liked it. I tucked it behind my ears when I slipped on some heeled sandals and grabbed my purse. This was the country club; I’d need to dress a little bit of the rich part.

No one was in the house when I breezed out except Mousteff. He poked his head out, saw my appearance and wolf whistled. I flicked him the middle finger, but he laughed as he went back to the kitchen.