Chapter Thirteen: Adam (Two Years Later)

"Hey Ma, you need any help with that?"

"No baby, I got it."

I kissed my mother on the cheek and watched and her and my two aunts prepare the sides for our Fourth of July barbecue. I like being around my family. They give me a sense of humbleness and the love that surrounds me is always unreal.

I went out to the backyard and watched my dad cook on the grill and sing to the old school R&B I had playing on the sound system. My little cousins were running around and tables were set up. I smiled.

"Well, what has you smiling so hard? 'Cause it clearly isn't me."

I turned and pulled Star into my arms. She wore the new peach-colored sundress I just bought her and the diamond earrings I got her on our one-year anniversary. She had grown her hair out so it was a curly fro that she pulled into a ponytail on top of her head. I looked up at it confused.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"I just wish you would have straightened your hair before coming here."

She took a step back and put her hands on her hips. I then realized I should've worded my sentence differently.

"Not like that, baby! I'm sorry. You know how..."

She placed a finger on my lips and I wrapped my arms back around her.

"Wish you two would get a room already," my dad said from behind us.

"Really, Pop?"

He laughed and put the last burger in the pan with the rest. My mom and aunts brought the food out the house and placed them on the tables. After one of my uncles blessed the food, we dug in. It warms my heart seeing my family interact and how they accepted Star right in. Hell, I'm surprised she's even coming around. It took almost three months after that dinner to get her to date me seriously. I know now that I'm ready to take things to the next level. I tried to get her to move in but she's so independent, of course; she told me no. I know what I have to do to get that to happen.

"Can I have everyone's attention, please?"

I stood up and everyone stopped their conversations and turned towards me. I cleared my throat and tried not to look nervous.

"As we all know, I've been married to my work since I started working there."

"Yeah, we know," my mom said, while rolling her eyes.

"But with age comes wisdom and I know now that I need and deserve more. And I believe I found more."

I looked at Star and she looked as nervous as I felt. I came towards her and grabbed her hand.

"Star has been the reason for my mornings before she actually became a part of my life. It's kind of like she made me work for it."

"I damn sure did."

"Well, I appreciate that work and I'll continue to put in that work...for the rest of our lives."

I took a deep breath and slowly got down on one knee.

"Adam, what the hell are you doing?" Star whispered.

"Star, I've loved you since the first time you stumbled into my office with some work files. I fell in love with you the first time you let me put a smile on your face. Will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

I took the box out of my pocket and opened it. Once I heard her gasp, I took the ring out and placed it on her finger. She started down at her hand and I waited in suspenseful silence.

"Well?" I asked.

"I—"

"Adam, darling!"

That annoying voice rang in my ears, making me quickly get off of my knee and turn around. Ro strutted up to us with the shortest American flag dress I've ever seen in my life and some knee-high boots. It sounded like Star and I both said "shit" under our breath at the same time. I was too busy to think of a way to finesse out of this to even look at Star to acknowledge it.

"How you having a barbecue and don't invite me?"

"Why are you even here?"

"Is that any way to talk to me?"

She looked around me, then looked at Star. Her facial expression made me think maybe they knew each other. I felt Star standing next to me and for some reason, I couldn't form my lips to say something to either one of them.

"Someone mind telling me what's going on here?" Star asked.

"Baby, it's nothing. She's just—"

"I'm his girlfriend, what are you doing here?" Ro interrupted me.

"Girlfriend?" Star repeated.

"I'm surprised he never told you about me."

"Yeah...he failed to do that."

"Star, don't believe her. Please tell me you don't believe her."

"The late night calls. The cars always randomly parked in front of the house. Always rushing out on dates." Star said, biting the inside of her lip.

"Star, please. It's not what it looks like."

"I don't know what it looks like anymore."

She looked down at her hand and slowly twisted the ring off her finger. I tried to stop her, but she moved away. I looked behind me and both my parents were looking on in shock. I'm embarrassed and I know they are as well. Star took the ring and grabbed Ro's hand. She pushed it on her ring finger.

"You always liked the finer things in life...right, Rhonda?"

Star shook her head and started walking towards the driveway.

"Star, don't leave."

I ran and tried to grab her arm and she pulled away.

"You are a heartless, careless, selfish asshole. Don't ever put your slimy hands on me."

"But, she's lying!"

"I'm sure she is, Adam. But knowing you and knowing her, I'll never know the truth. Go fuck yourself."

And just like that, she walked away.

"How did you know Star?" Ro asked.

"How the fuck do you know her, Ro?"

She looked at me, then down at the ring and smiled. "I don't."

I cursed under my breath and went to the back door.

"So, does that mean you're marrying her?" my father yelled.

"Hell no, and she can keep the ring."

         *************************************

I wiped a tear from my face and took a big swig out the bottle of E&J I was drinking. I keep calling Star, but she won't pick up. Eventually, my calls started going straight to voicemail. I can't believe Ro would just...hell, I don't know. I can't really be surprised because this is typically her. I should've cut her off a while ago when Aaron told me to.

Aaron, that selfish bastard. How could he still get a score or a laugh in from prison? I'm supposed to be at peace; he's the one that's supposed to be stressed out, not me. I went into the dish on my coffee table and pulled out the leftover coke I had from the last drop Aaron and I did. I poured it out on the table and singled out a line. I took a deep breath and bent to take in the drugs.