Chapter 1

Lydia POV

"Lydia, I told you to straighten out the back hand. Reset. Try it again" dad tells me and I go back to my starting return stance. Most people would love if a former champion and 8 time grand slam winner was their coach but not me. I never get a break. That's because my coach is Ivan Lendl... but I mostly just call him dad.

He started teaching me the game before I could even walk. Now I'm 20. I always wanted to go professional. Growing up, dad always made his kids play a sport. It build your mentality and he always wanted me to be mentally strong. Don't get me wrong I love the game of tennis but it's been a bad practice today so I'm a little salty.

"One more time" Dad demands after I hit the ball to his approval. I hit the ball a few more times then go to my bathroom to shower before dinner.

By the time I come down to the kitchen with a fresh pair of clothes on, the food is finished and placed on the table. We all dig in and have small conversations.

"Are you all packed up Lyds?" Mom questions. I take a bite of pasta and nod my head.

"Almost. Just things like my toothbrush and things I'm still going to need tomorrow morning." I explain. Dad and I are going to New York in the morning. He is the new coach of Alexander "Sascha" Zverev the world number 4. He asked me to go because if I'm going to turn pro after college it would help to experience the big tournaments. I thought it was a great idea so I gladly agreed.

After dinner and cleaning up I go to my room and check my phone. My eyes feel heavier each passing second and I'm soon releasing the muscles in my body for a night of dreaming.

~the next afternoon~

Smiling, I look on at the city I love so much; New York. "Let's go meet the team, shall we?" Dad questions and we head to the hotel. When we arrive to our apartment, I immediately unpack and put all my clothing away. I hang my dresses and nicer clothing on a rack so it doesn't wrinkle and check the living area out.

"Nice hotel, huh?" Dad questions.

"Beautiful. I can't wait to spend the next two weeks here with you dad" I hug him. He smiles and agrees, kissing the top of my head.

I sit on the couch and text mom, telling her we landed and got to the hotel safe. "I have to go meet Sascha and his team. Want to come?" Dad asks. I nod and slip some sandals on that match with my peach shorts and white tank top that perfectly shows off my tanned skin and dark brunette hair.

Making our way down the hallway, we stop four doors down from our own. Dad knocks on the door and we see a middle aged man with deep set, blue eyes.

"Hello. I'm Alexander senior." He steps back so we can come into the room. I'm immediately drawn to the clothing on the floor and trash lining the desk and bedside tables. Tennis bags are hanging wide open with rackets and over grips spilling out the sides.

"Hey. I'm Sascha. Sorry my rooms a little messy" he apologizes.

I turn my head like an owl to take one last look at my surroundings before finally speaking up. "I barebly even noticed" I sarcastically remark. Dad nudges me.

"Sorry about her. She's a bit of a sass ass. This is my daughter, Lydia. I hope you don't mind her hanging around a bit. She hopes to be a pro after college so I thought showing her all the work a top player puts in would be helpful."

"Not a problem! How's it going kid?" Jez Green comes over and gives me a hug. I haven't seen him in ages. He used to be on Andy Murray's team back when dad was his coach. We would always get into trouble and he was always my go to play partner on tour.

Everyone talks for a little while and gets to know one another. They even ask me a few things, which takes me by surprise.

I guess this won't be so bad...