11

When Garrett opens his eyes the next morning, it's Tuesday. When he opens his eyes, he's thirsty and sore from his crappy mattress and feels like he needs a cup of coffee and a shower. When he opens his eyes, he opens them to Andrew.

And Andrew opens his eyes to Garrett.

And they smile.

And they laugh.

And they get up and get ready and get breakfast from McDonalds because Garrett's fridge is empty. Garrett repeats Andrew's Starbucks order into the drive through speaker around a mouthful of bacon and egger. They drive down the freeway and Andrew bops along to the music in the passenger's seat.

Their hands are clung together over the center console and even though Garrett's palm is freezing and clammy Andrew doesn't say a word. That's just fine, because Garrett won't say that he hates the next song that Andrew plays through his aux cord.

And Andrew won't accept Garrett's apology about the garbage on his floor, but collects it and tosses it out anyway when they get to Shane's.

It's the same, but it's different. It feels like things used to. Like the buildup and hope that Garrett had felt when they'd first met and Andrew had given him his number. The butterflies in his chest when they'd gotten coffee together the first time and Andrew had softly smiled across the table at him with all the love in the world.

It's like his life is back. Like the sun has been put back into the sky and Garrett can start turning again.

And if, now, they steal a quick kiss on Shane's front step, who's going to care? Who's going to tell them not to? If they sit a little closer, look a little longer, smile a little brighter?

It's their story now. They get to chose. They get to not be afraid, anymore. Together.

They get to ride off into the sunset in Garrett's Toyota Prius and pretend that the world revolves around each other's touch.

Garrett gets to forgive, and Andrew gets to love.

And they are good. And everything isn't perfect, because Garrett knows it's never perfect, but it gets to be good and there's nothing more he can ask for.

Because Andrew is happy.

The best part? He's happy with him.

And that will always be enough.