Epilogue

Two weeks down the road in yet another two-star town, some backwoods cluster barely gracing the map. One gas station, one motel, one diner.

When the brothers stop in that town for the night, they check in to the motel under the names Scott and Young, and then go to the diner for dinner. Sam wants his customary salad; Dean is just looking to sate his craving for blueberry pie. When they slide into the booth, their knees knock together and there's a brief, blushing moment when they're both remembering last night. All the nights these past few weeks. And all the mornings after.

Sam finds himself doing that a lot, lately—blushing like a teenager with a crush. But he finds he doesn't mind so much, and why should he? Sam loves Dean with his whole heart, more than he ever thought possible, and the man does things to his body that make him tremble finely just remembering.

Sam always knows where his brother is, only now it's because he's right there with him.

So when Dean shoves his face full of pie and grins, teeth and lips blue-purple from the berries, Sam smiles back beneath knowing eyes. Neither of them know exactly how many days they have left, but they certainly know with whom they're spending them.

the end