Chapter 3

A tiny candle was lit in the middle of Abagail's livingroom. Her friend was asleep along with her parents. Sarah laid restless. She missed her parents, especially that night but she had felt that she let them down by saying a prayer at the cathedral. Though it was her first time in that place and everything was fine before, her mother and father's words seemed to have had meaning to it. She had almost died from a fire today.

She squeezed her eyes tight, not wanting to replay the scenario in her mind. Yet, it kept going. She tried to make sense of it, but she couldn't. Things only got worse when Sarah heard a small twig being broken outside of the house. She stood up fast, peaking out the glassless window where only a curtain hung.

"Sarah? Is that you?" A familiar voice called out.

Sure about who it was, she walked to the curtain and removed it. There she saw the bishop dressed in all white, holding a cross made of wood outstretched facing away from the window. "What are you doing here?" Sarah asked, wide eye and worried.

"No one would have told you," he pronounced. "No one could have told you. But your father didn't die from a sickness. Neither did your mother." He spoke quickly, constantly looking back as he did. "Months before their death, I did the exorcism for your father against his will, since we were good friends. He begged me not to and said I wasn't capable, but I saw evil in him. Living in him, like a demon."

Sarah felt tired and was unsure if she had been hearing things right. "What?"

"Listen, I know-I know it sounds very strange," he said. "but you should let me cleanse you. I'm afraid what killed your father, then your mother, will soon try to kill you. At the cathedral," he looked back once again, this time peering longer into the darkness. Suddenly when he turned back around, Sarah noticed that his eyes showed nothing but the whites. Soon, drops of blood slowly slid down his face.

Sarah gasped back in horror, letting go of the curtain but it blew inside of the house-giving her a clear view of the bishop.

"I can't...see," he choked out, gripping both hands around the cross. "It's here."

"What's here?" she whispered, looking around.

"The things your father spoke of," he said. "The Jinn."

Sarah knew what that was. Her parents spoke of them often. They never spoke of her father being possessed by one. Before she could say anything else to the bishop, the candle went out and the curtain swiftly blocked the bishop's face. Darkness. Nothing but darkness surrounded her.

The only thing Sarah could hear was her heartbeat. "Abagail!" She screamed out, scared to walk around out of fear she'd touch something she didn't want to.

However, what came next was Abagail's voice. A small laughter.

"Abagail?" Sarah asked, peering through the darkness.

"Pray," A voice sounding like Abagail's said in a low voice. Soon the candle relit for a quick second. Enough to see a blood red creature on all fours with two twisted horns on its head and a mouth full of black teeth hissing silently at her.

Abagail and her parents ran out of their rooms with candles to find Sarah standing, still looking at what was leaning inside the window. The Bishop's blooding body hunched halfway into the house.

***

Hi guys! I'm excited to share my new short story, Jinn, with you! Wattpad asked me to write a short story to get you all excited for the upcoming film, The Nun, hitting theaters on September 7th  

Are you all going to see it!?