Chapter One

So I saw a writing prompt on Pinterest to write a one shot starting from ten and ending in zero. Then it somehow turned into an actual story and me writing four chapters in one sitting *facepalm*

Anyway, hope you all enjoy!!

10...

    I didn't want to do this. I hated stealing and I was no good at it but I had no other choice. Mom threatened me with no food for a week and more punishments than I could imagine if I didn't get money for extra rations.

    Extra rations. That's exactly what it was. Mom always splurged on food that most certainly was not abundant. Marie and I got the leftovers, our bones sticking through ghastly skin proved that, while Mom had quite a few extra pounds on her.

9...

    I scanned the crowd, trying to look inconspicuous. It wasn't hard to blend in around here. For the most part, this was a poor village. The Royals had more wealth than I could possibly imagine but other than them only a handful of people had money.

    I was in the marketplace, a narrow street with broken cobblestone roads. Vendors sat against the walls trying to sell anything from food to clothes to knick-knacks.

8...

    A man caught my eye. He was slightly older than me but not by much. I could tell he would have something of worth on him, though.

    While the people around here, me included, had torn linens, he wore a clean white shirt neatly tucked into hickory colored pants. Our dirty hair and sickly pale skin stood no chance against his soft brown locks and fair tone. His muscles were obvious without being cocky through the shirt and his cheeks had the slightest pink tint. It's obvious he's healthy and therefore eats right.

7...

    I pushed the guilt down as I made him my target. I hated stealing from anyone, poor or rich, but taking from the wealthy was easier. They don't know how easy they have it. To make matters worse, they walk around in their fancy, clean clothes and rub their money in our faces without a care in the world.

    Like right now. This man chose to come into one of the poorest areas while obviously coming from money. If he hadn't wanted to rub what we don't have in our faces, he would've known not to look like that.

6...

    My stomach growled loudly, strengthening my resolve. This wasn't the first time I've had to do this and it's unlikely to be the last. They don't understand; he won't understand. They don't know what Mom will do if I don't get her what she asks for.

    I trail slightly closer to him. He seemed occupied by his thoughts and I hope that'll be an advantage for me.

    You can do this, Sang. If you're going to live to see another day, you have to.

5...

    I let out a slow breath.

    I'm within a few feet of him before I speed up my pace, head downcast.

    My shoulder bumps roughly into his. I slip my hand into his pocket as I pretend to have been knocked against him. Moss and berries flood my nose, momentarily distracting me.  The smell was so unlike that of the dirty market. Finding two coins, I quickly close my palm around them and yank my hand back.

    I gasp, "I am so sorry. Please forgive me. I wasn't watching where I was going."

    His baritone voice sends a spark of surprise through me, "Oh, it's okay. Are you alright?"