Chap 8

VIII 

A loud shrieking beep wakes you up. You realize it’s her alarm clock going off.

Right, you had forgotten you have a plane to catch.

You have to get up but the arms that were holding you tighten considerably. Your bodies are a messy tangle of naked limbs. You sigh and give up. If she doesn’t want you to leave, then you won’t. You really don’t want to, anyway. You’d rather stay for three days more and bicker at her some more or make love some more. Either of those sound good, as long as it’s with her.

“Cara…” You whisper. She groans and then you’re being rolled over. She’s on top of you, holding on to you tightly. You smile sadly and smooth out her blonde locks. “I have to go, baby.”

“No.”

“Yes, love… I’m gonna miss my flight back home.”

Seconds pass and you think for a moment she’s fallen asleep again. But then she starts singing really quietly.

Home is wherever I’m with you.”

You sigh, feeling even sadder because you know how true those words are.

“Don’t go. Stay.” She begs silently.

“Cara…” You try reasoning with few words. “Please don’t make this harder than it has to be…”

Moments pass and she says nothing. She rolls over, finally, and lets you get up. On your way to the bathroom you catch her staring at you with the saddest face you’ve seen on her. Her long body is barely covered by a thin sheet and you want nothing more than to just lie down with her and make those sad eyes sparkle again.

You freshen up quickly in the bathroom. When you come out, she’s on the phone. She’s standing by the window, a sheet wrapped around her body. Her back’s turned to you as she speaks quietly. You walk behind her and hug her waist, pressing a kiss to her uncovered spine. She leans into your touch and even after she hangs up, she doesn’t move and neither do you.

Moments later she’s in the bathroom and you’re checking if you aren’t leaving anything behind.

She comes out, looking as fresh as ever. You share sad smiles. You sit on the edge of the bed as you wait for her to finish getting ready. You see the pink robe she was wearing last night and you feel sort of nostalgic. You grab it and lay it on the bed. She looks at you, blushing slightly, and this time the smiles you share are knowing ones.

-

The silence in the car is filled with some Spanish song you’ve never heard before. You stare out the window, silently saying goodbye to Barcelona. You turn your neck to look at Cara and she’s staring out the window to. You grab the hand that lies limply on her lap and take it. You intertwine your fingers with hers and after you bring it to your lips, kissing her soft skin.

-

You get to the airport and the driver asks you if you need any help with the suitcase. Cara tells him she can handle it and you get in the huge glassy building. You check in as Cara waits for you on the side. You look at your watch and realize you really do have to go to the gates, or else you’ll never make it in time.

“I have to go…” You tell her. She nods but doesn’t say anything. “When will I see you again?” You try asking. She shrugs. She’d look so damn adorable right now if you didn’t know she was so sad. “Cara…” You touch her cheek and she leans into your palm.

She does the same to you. She touches your cheek with her palm and you lean into her touch. You take her hand to your lips and kiss the soft skin. You try smiling but you drop it completely when you see her bottom lip trembling.

Oh no, she can’t cry. You don’t want to see Cara cry, ever. And on top of it, you’ll be the cause of it.

You pout with her and whisper, “Please don’t cry.”

She pulls you into a tight hug and then you feel her body convulsing. She’s full on crying. You hug her even tighter and your throat hurts from trying not to cry with her. You have to be the strong one here. If you start crying you will never make it to your flight. You kiss her neck a few times, soothing her with quiet pleads, promising you’ll see each other really soon.

She pulls away from you. You almost look away when you see her red eyes and wet spots all over her face. She’s still pouting and her lip is still trembling.

“I’m sorry,” She sniffs and wipes her eyes with the back of her hand. “I ruined your shirt…”

“It’ll dry, love.” You pull her head to you and kiss her forehead. “Don’t worry about it.”

She nods.

“You should go,” She whispers and you know how hard it is for her to say it.

You nod. She leans down and kisses your cheek softly. You’re disappointed she didn’t go for your lips, but you know she can’t risk exposure. You look at her one last time and try shooting her your best smile. Then you grab your suitcase and start walking away from her.

“Wait!” She cries.

You turn around and before you even know what’s going on she’s planted a firm kiss on your lips. You wrap your arms around her and let yourself get lost in Cara.

-

You don’t feel nervous in the plane. You feel lost. You feel as if there’s something missing. Your phone buzzes. It’s Cara telling you she loves you and she’ll miss you and to be safe. You don’t reply.

As the plane takes off, you watch the bluest of skies, the shoreline and the sea.

You cry, finally, as a terrible feeling of melancholy washes over you.