Part 12

A/N: New update :)

-Enjoy

---

I use to make fun of people who were afraid of hospitals. What kind of wimp was afraid of a place where they help people live?

Now, as I sat in the corner of the waiting room, rocking and fidgeting, anxiety level completely elevated, it dawned on me that I had become one of those people. I hated this place. I've hated it since the day the baby- I didn't like to think about it... Being here... it just rehashes all those feelings and memories. My mind was racing a mile a minute and I couldn't focus on anything. This place refused to let me do even that. In my head, I kept getting flashbacks of Demi's battered, cold body. Her distressed moans. The excruciating pain she endured throughout the night while I was safely tucked away in bed.

I couldn't let this happen to her again. That was it. That was the final straw! Seeing her that way... wondering how someone could hurt her so badly... it just- it brought all of it back. All the feelings and thoughts that I suppressed for so long. The pain that I, myself, had caused her during my adolescence. I was the worst boyfriend in the world to her. I was the worst father in the world to our unborn baby.

Once I walked up to Demi's nearly unconscious body, I couldn't believe my eyes. She was in her underwear, her lip was bloody, her left eye was purple, and she looked dirty and pale. Her body was so skinny and frail, all I remember was seeing her ribs and hip bones... she looked like death. I didn't waste another moment as I quickly took off my shirt and placed it on her body. Carrying her in my arms, I hailed a taxi to take us to the nearest hospital... as of now, we've been here for a couple of hours.

"Joseph," I quickly looked up, once I heard my someone say my name. "We're moving Demetria out of the E.R, she's dehydrated and she's experiencing something we can only presume to be withdrawal symptoms. We gave her a blood test and we're just waiting on her results. The examiner checked her, fortunately, there's no sign of forced entry. So, just come up with us so you can sign her into her room." The nurse that was assigned to Demi explained.

I smiled at her and got up from my seat, then I remembered something, "Hey, is she awake?"

After me and Demi got into a cab, she passed out. I never got the chance to ask her any questions or anything.

"Yeah, she woke up about 15 minutes ago. Ok, so just follow me... the nurses are going to roll her into the elevators and up to her floor. We'll meet them upstairs. Her room number is DJ-729." Nodding, I followed the nurse's lead until we were in the 7th Floor, where they kept the intake patients.

My anxiety level began going haywire... this hallway seemed so reminiscent to the one I was in when I found out about the b-

"-Ok, Joseph. She's right inside there. I'll come back in 30 minutes with her lunch and in about an hour the doctor will come in. First he has to take a look at her lab results," she explained, clapping her hands together once she finished speaking. "Alrighty then, do you have any other questions?"

I shook my head no. At that point, she smiled and passed me a clipboard that I had to fill out for Demi's room fees. It seemed that I was going to have to be the one to cover them. I didn't mind though, when it came to Demi, everything seemed penniless. I owed her so much more than a lousy hospital bill...

Eventually, the nurse walked away and I was left alone, standing in front of Demi's room door. Suddenly my nerves tightened and my anxiety became worse. Why did I always get so nervous around her?!

Slowly opening her room door, I watched her head face my direction, our eyes instantly meeting. The way she looked at me was untelling. I didn't know what kind of reaction or mood she would be in, especially because of the fact that the last time I saw her while she was coherent, she told me to get lost and stay out of her life. That thought alone made my anxiety level become even higher.