Chapter 1

Hello my awesome readers, this is a story that I'm going to write next year but I wanted to give you a sneak peak.
###############################################
No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means,

electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage

and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.

This e-book is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This e-book may not be re-sold or

given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please

purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you're reading this book and did not

purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return to your favourite e-

book retailer and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this

author.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of

the author's imagination or used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any actual persons,

living or dead, events or locales is entirely coincidental.

#############################################
Chapter 1

I still can't believe that it happened and it was over one hundred years ago now. The day I became the last mermaid to grace the oceans waters had started off with such joy. Yet I was the only one to see the tragedy. I will always be the only one to deal with the destruction of my species.

My father had made me hide the day they came for us. He tucked me away beneath the shelf of coral in the reef. I hid in the darkest depth of the ocean that he could find for me before they invaded our world.

It still hurts me when I think about that day. Every year I hold a remembrance on the tragic date it occurred. That's the only time I allow myself to cry over my loss.

I was the youngest mermaiden in the royal family and that day my excitement over my birthing day had me swimming wildly through the water. My family had laughed and smiled while encouraging me to frolic.

That day was supposed to be my official naming day, a special day in any merperson's life. In the royal family, it meant I was of age to find a partner, and take over duties within the palace. Such an auspicious day could shape a merperson's future, and it certainly did shape mine, but in a way that no one expected.

The merboy, I can still see his panicked face and the sound of his voice begging me to forgive him. The humans, the slow lumbering humans had saw him and followed him. I told him that everything would work out and what a lie that was. Still, I would never blame him.

I know now that the humans of that time had grown desperate. Food reminded scarce and the land wouldn't produce. A lot suffered from a war torn time that merpeople could never understand.

That's when they looked towards the ocean to stave off the desperate starvation. One of the fishermen, as the humans called themselves, discovered the boy. Of course, the merboy panicked and swam straight back to his home within the palace. He cared for our many sea horses, of which we once had the finest steeds.

Fishing boats in the hundreds darkened our sun dappled palace. At first, we couldn't understand what had blocked the shine of our glorious sun, but it didn't take long to see the ugliest of truths.

With my birthing day, every merperson attended from all across the seas to celebrate with me. I carry tremendous guilt knowing that day wiped out our civilisation.