Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"What was that?" Byron asked in a bit of a daze. "I can tell you one thing, it's better than any sex I've had before."

"You're now royal." I pointed down to his tail.

He pulled away from me to stare down at the golden scales that now meshed with his emerald green ones. Any mer who joined the royal side of things kept their original tail colour, but it came interspersed with gold. His green and gold tail took my breath away.

"You... we." He waved an astonished hand between us.

"We're now mer bonded." I stated clearly.

"Wow, it's nothing like getting married up there." His amazement continued as he pointed to the surface of the ocean.

"Normally, we would have mer attend with us and have a big celebration, but you need to see." I gestured to the walls around me and Byron froze.

"Coral, you just bonded us and made me royal. Are you even ready for that?" Byron asked with concern.

It was only then that I realised that I'd taken the decision from him. What if Byron didn't mer bond with me? What if he had a human female that he never mentioned to me?

"You didn't want?" I couldn't say anymore as I backed away from him. "I'm sorry, so sorry! What was I thinking?" I tossed my head into my hands.

"Coral, to me this was an inevitable matter, although, I've got to say that I never expected such a quick introduction into royal life." He sounded amused and I didn't know what to say.

"You don't mind?" I stammered the words sounding like the worst guppy.

"No, I don't mind, but next time you're going to do something like that at least give a guy a bit of warning." It was like he wanted to tease me, but I remained uncertain.

"I'm sorry, I truly am. I took the decision from you and I never should've done that."

"Coral, you're overreacting. You didn't take the decision as much as you secured our future. I wanted our mer bond." He held a hand out to me encouraging me forward, but I hesitated.

"Are you sure?" I had to ask.

Byron crooked a finger and then smiled at me. Everything inside of me relaxed. He wasn't upset and he actually seemed quite pleased.

I reached out and linked our hands together. This time there was no gumminess. Our hands met and our palms created a pleasant tingle together. Byron used my hand to pull me closer to him. His arms came around me and a blissful sigh moved past my lips.

"Are we finished now, my little merlings?" Lin's voice echoed through the water down to us.

I jerked back, momentarily forgetting why we were here and what we'd attempted. Byron looked up through the water to where we could see a bright glow.

"We have to go and face the truth eventually." Byron said as he swam towards the light.

"Yes." I agreed.

Lin said nothing when we re-emerged into the cave. His brows might have risen just a little but he remained silent. Byron and I changed into our human form to follow him.

"These walls really do talk." Byron said in amazement as he stared around awestruck as I had done not that long ago.

"It tells a lot that I didn't know." I agreed as I shook my hair dry.

"I've got to say that this is going to take me a while to get used to." Byron said, and I winced thinking that he meant our bond.

"I..." I went to apologise again, but Byron interrupted me.