Caught

Caught

(Thomas' P.O.V)

~~~

We all turned to face the griever, minds racing.

What had I done!? This was all my fault! If only I knew the Maze a little better, perhaps I wouldn't have led my friends to their deaths. What were we going to do!?

Minho was at the front of us all, facing the oncoming monster in horror. They knew this was the end; if I'd led them down an alternative passage, just turned to my right at the last fork, we could have avoided this, we could have escaped.

Our laboured breathing ricocheted tremendously loud off the walls, causing me to cringe and shudder. No wonder the griever had found us; more were sure to follow.

We stood frozen to the spot for what felt like minutes as the griever loomed out of the darkness, just like in my nightmares.

I wanted to curl up in a ball and rock in the corner, in the shadows, out of sight from the creature. But it'd smell me, hear me, feel my breath and thumping heart. I merely watched as it drew closer, taking it's time, wanting us to emit as much fear as possible.

Newt and Minho were doing to same, watching it with wide eyes, faces stricken with horror. Someone had to act; and with a hasty debate in my mind, I decided that that someone was going to be me!

"Guys, grab one of the vines!" I ordered, suddenly regaining my voice. "Quickly!"

Newt snapped round. "What d'you think your playing at, tommy? We're not going to escape it!"

"We can try. So grab a shucking vine ya shanks!" I hoped my use of the Glader language would motivate them, and thankfully they did as I said, each yanking a vine from the wall.

"Whip it!" I yelled. They stared at me incredulously.

"It's worth a shot so just do it!" I growled, growing impatient. It wasn't the best idea, but it was sure as hell better than just standing still while the creature did whatever horrific fate it had planned for us.

I tugged the vines as hard as I could, testing several different ones as some were more sturdy than others, until one fell from above, clattering on the floor as it's leafy tendrils swirled up the dust. Wrapping it round my hand like a rope, I inhaled a deep breath of air and charged forward like a maniac. Newt and Minho exchanged glances, gave a shrug, and followed my lead as I jerked out the vine to whack across the metallic body.

Nothing. No dint. No scratch. No mark at all as we continued whipping it with the vines. All we seemed to be doing was enraging it; lights hanging from it's joints began to flash, blinding me momentarily. It was pushing us further into the alcove, and soon enough our backs would be pressed against the walls.

"This isn't working!" Minho cried, stumbling back while continuously lashing out his cord.

My back pressed into the wall and I let out a gasp; this was it. We could go no further, neither forward nor backward. Perhaps we could distract it and run...

Just as my lip quivered to blurt out another irrational idea, Newt slid something wickedly sharp from under his breastplate and flicked his wrist, sending the object tumbling forwards to thud into one of the lights jangling on the griever's body. The creature emitted an unearthly shriek, making me shudder, and recoiled.

With the beast distracted, Minho darted forward, out of the creature's grasp, with us hot on his heels. Struggling to limp along, he led us down a series of dank passages until the drone of the griever faded into the distance. We paused for breath, my chest heaving as my lungs screamed for air.

"What now?" I inquired.

More grievers were surely nearby, we had to keep on moving. But we couldn't keep at it forever.

"Climb the walls!" Newt abruptly whispered, his voice shaky.

"What?"

"Climb the walls; wrap the vines around yourselves and climb! Surely they won't be able to reach us there!"

The plan sounded insane, impossible, we wouldn't last five minutes trying to scale those walls. But it was the only suggestion we had. I shrugged and nodded, though Minho didn't look convinced.

"Just do it, you bloody shank!" Newt hissed at Minho. "Unless you wanna stay down here and get ripped to shreds by those bloody monsters."

Minho gritted his teeth and nodded.

"Fine."

~

omg guys. i went to the cinema today to watch hercules and i found some free maze runner postcards. i started freaking out and was like 'omg. maze runner! maze runner! maze runner!'

so yeah. maze runner. i got three postcards, and i think we're going back on thursday to watch guardians of the galaxy, so i'll see if there are any more!

yah. thanks for reading. please vote... for our precious gladers!

~