11: The Feast of Starlight

Chapter 11

I'm such a fool. I'm such a fool. Tauriel lay staring at the night sky. She knew that it was The Feast of Starlight tonight; it was her favorite holiday of all. Legolas would probably be looking for her-

No, she thought. He has Eyela. He doesn't need you anymore.

It was almost hard to believe that so much in her life could have changed in two days, and with what? The arrival of a single elleth from Rivendell who carried affections for her best friend? That's what he was, of course-just a friend. She had never considered that she might have feelings for him...until now.

A hundred years was considered batting an eye in the life of an elf. But in two days, it seemed as though her life had been turned upside down. And she had just stood by and let it happen.

I should go inside, she thought. But what could she do? Where could she go?

Not knowing the answer to either question, Tauriel rose and slowly snuck into the palace. She did not want to be seen.

In her hurry to get to her living quarters, she decided to do a quick patrol through the dungeons. Then no elf could tell her she was being lazy, or not participating. I'm on duty.

She jogged past the Dwarves; many of them were sleeping. One, however, was not, and somehow it did not surprise her.

Kili thumbed a rune stone, his eyes blank and tired. She felt a slight twinge of remorse, standing there, looking at him, and her curiosity got the better of her.

"The stone in you hand. What is it?" She asked uncertainly.

His brown eyes narrowed at her. "It is a talisman. A powerful spell lies upon it. If any but a Dwarf reads the runes on this stone..." he paused, for effect. "They will be forever cursed!" He pointed the stone at her, as if warding her spirit away.

Tauriel recoiled, stung, and averted her gaze quickly. She was about to move on, but his voice stopped her.

"Or not."

He had started grinning. "Depending on what you believe. I think it's just a token." He laughed, and it was so infectious that she began smiling, too.

"A rune stone," he continued. "My mother gave it to me so that I would remember my promise."

Her heart leapt a little as she thought of her own mother, and the promises they used to make. "What promise?"

"That I would come back to her."

Oh. She longed to say something, but her words had abandoned her.

"She worries," he said, flipping the rune stone up with his thumb, and catching it again in his hand. "She thinks I'm reckless."

A small smile played on Tauriel's lips. "Are you?"

Kili launched the rune stone into the air again, winking at her. "Nah."

This time, however, he failed to catch it, and it fell through the bars. He reached for it, but Tauriel was quicker. She slapped her boot upon it, and gently picked it up before it could fall any further.

She looked at it in the light, and the sounds of the festivities could be heard from above them. There was shouting and laughing; the lords had probably had too much to drink.

"Sounds like quite the party they're having up there," Kili commented. She knew what he meant: Why aren't you up there with them?

She chose not to answer him. Instead she said, "It is Ehtele'mele The Feast of Starlight. All light is sacred to the Eldar. But what Wood Elves love best is the light of the stars."