1

.

.

.

There was a knock at my door, then my bell went off. I heard a laugh and I smiled as I slip off my mitts and rush over to my apartment entrance. I look through the peep hole a slight second then open the door. I was then tackled with a hug by the little devil herself.

"Daisy! Oh, I'm sorry Miss Summers." I chuckle as the small blonde lets go of me and turns to her also blonde haired mother.

"You don't have to use mannerisms with me Mrs. Audrey, please."

The woman smiles and hands me the little devil's bag. "Same here, I'm not old yet." She then started to dig in her purse as I take the bag.

"Here, let me-" She pulls out her wallet.

"Oh no, you don't have to right now-" I say and held up my hand in defense. "Use it for you and your husband's luck at the casinos." 

The young woman brightened up then turned to her daughter who was trying to hold my cream Birman, Cadence.

"Oh-Daisy! Leave her cat alone!"

"But she's so pretty!"

The nine year old whines and I turn to the mother.

"She's fine, she will have to get used to me kid-handled for the next few days anyway."

Mrs. Audrey sighs forcing a smile then waving to her daughter.

"Behave got it?"

"Yeah-Yeah."

Daisy held Cadence like she was a baby and I waved to Mrs. Audrey. I closed the entrance door and turned to the little blonde.

"What kind is she again?"

"Birman."

"Birman? Are all cats from there?"

"Cadie was not born in Burma, though the original cat was bred from there." I explain as I walk back into the kitchen.

"Have you eaten yet?"

"Yeah, but all I had was some toast with this salty stuff on it... they told me it was an Australian cream..."

I could almost imagine the girls face crunch up in distaste.

"Vegemite?"

"I think so, that's what the man at the counter called it."

I laugh fully and finish my hash-browns as I push them onto my plate.

"Well I think it is delicious."

"Then your crazy!"

I sit on the couch in my sweats and large shirt with my plate and already made coffee. I reach for the remote and turn on the television. I let the devil watch the telly as I ate my breakfast. I offered her some, but she said she didn't want any. For she didn't trust my taste in food, though they actually had hash-browns in America.

"Miss Piper! Miss Piper! Can we see this movie tonight? Please!!"

The brown eyed girl jumped in excitement as she pushed Cadence off of her and moved closer to the telly.

"It's a doggy movie!"

I sigh and grab my glasses from off the coffee table and narrowed my eyes at the screen. There was a trailer playing. 

It made my heart drop and the frames suddenly brought back memories I moved to Perth, to forget about.

lynnii

.

.

.