Chapter 5

On a warm Saturday afternoon, Alfie stared into the core of a box full of hematite stones. The small round shapes of iron oxide reflected the light until it hurt his eyes.

"Misplaced something?" a voice spoke, and Alfie broke out of his trance-like state.

"Yes," the teen sighed and grabbed a handful of the stones. "My mum accidentally threw my last hematite stone out. I tell her not to clean in my office, but she gets agitated if there's even a spec of dust on the shelves."

The owner of the quirky little shop raised a brow, nodding silently. "You're not quite yourself today. Is everything alright?" He noticed how Alfie was quieter than usual and less sarcastic.

"I don't know," Alfie said like it didn't matter. "How much are these again?"

"Fifty pence, but they're on the house for you. You know that. From one medium to another, we help each other out. Can I offer my services to help you through your troubles?"

Alfie stared into his sunglasses. "I don't think you can help with this issue, Connor. It feels like an impossible task."

"The task itself is not impossible. You can't move forward without change. What are you doing to progress?" Conner asked.

Aflie thought back to yesterday when he told Koda about his grandfather's necklace. "Making myself look like an idiot. I'm trying to make this guy from my art class believe that I can see his dead mother. She only died last week, so he's pretty torn up about it and thinks I'm being insensitive for bringing her up. I think he thinks that I'm making fun of him. I might have to turn his mother away."

"You've never turned anyone away before."

"I know." Alfie moved down the aisle and sat on the couch behind the till. The shop was his second home, so he treated it like one. It was small and sold items that were useful to mediums and fascinating to anyone outside of their spiritual community. Connor followed, not needing to tap his white cane on unfamiliar surroundings. He knew the layout like the direction of the veins on the back of his hand. "I just... I don't want the guy to hate me, not more than what he already does."

Conner thought for a moment. Alfie was never hung up on what people thought of him, which was one reason why they were such good friends. The only negativity they had to deal with was from the spirits who needed their help. "He sounds special to you. Is he?"

Alfie nodded then tried not to laugh at himself for making the same stupid mistake he had made since knowing Connor. His friend was blind; he couldn't see the teens silent replies. "I guess."

"His mother might not get the proper help she needs if you send her to someone else. You have a better chance of talking to her son because you go to his college and you're in the same class. She has come to you for a reason." The man moved his stick and tapped Alfie's foot to make sure he was listening. "Remember, the law of attraction is a powerful thing. Believe in this case. The boy will stop grieving so hard, and you'll get the chance to talk to him soon."

* * * * *

Koda stared into his empty kitchen. His father told him he'd be back by five to make dinner. It was almost seven, and he hadn't called or text to say that he wasn't coming home. Koda knew he would be at a bar drowning his sorrows in beer.

He was eighteen now, and he shouldn't be waiting for a parent to come home to make food, but his dad promised he would, and Koda really needed him to be there. He had started to feel lonely. It hit him hard last night.

He was lying in bed, tossing and turning until a cold shiver of fear swarmed his chest. Did he push people away without realising it? Had he ever had one real friend who he could trust? Did his dad love him? Did anyone even like him?