Chapter 47

Chris was called into the principal's office first. Beforehand, Chris had been handed a tissue to clean his face and was checked out by Miss Pecan who knew first aid. Unfortunately, the bully was okay and suffering pain only in his nose. Miss Pecan didn't know if he had broken his nose, so she advised his parents to take a trip to the hospital once they left college. The tutor moved onto Koda when Chris vanished into the office.

"Did he hit you back?" Pecan asked, examining the swollen knuckles on Koda's left hand.

"He didn't get the chance," Alfie said with a little too much pride.

Miss Pecan hummed a response he thought sounded satisfied and made Koda bend his fingers, concluding that his knuckles were not broken but he should take good care of them for a smooth healing process. "Right, Alfie, I heard you fell down the steps outside?"

"He was pushed," Molly corrected her as the art teacher sat next to her son.

"Did you hit your head?" Pecan asked. "You look a little pale. Are you alright?"

"I don't know. I think I did." Alfie turned towards his mum to expose the back of his head to his tutor.

Miss Pecan's neck tightened. Koda didn't like her reaction. "You've cut your head open. It's still bleeding."

Molly leapt off her chair to see and gasped. Alfie rolled his eyes, not daring to tell them that his back felt like it was caving in on his insides. "I'm fine. It doesn't even hurt."

"Let me see." Koda rushed over too. "Well, it looks sore. You should get it checked out."

"I agree," Molly said, pulling her son to his feet too quickly. A dizzy spell washed over Alfie and his vision went spotty and dark. Alfie stumbled and Koda caught him by shoving hands under his armpits.

"You made me stand too fast," Alfie muttered. "I'm okay."

"You're not!" Molly grabbed her son's cheeks, staring intently into his eyes. "How many of me can you see."

"One, and I wish it was zero," Alfie scoffed. Even if he could see more, he wasn't stupid enough to think his mother was duplicating.

Molly shook her head and forced Alfie's arm around her shoulders. "We're going to the hospital. Maybe they can fix your attitude too."

"Excuse me, I was born with this sharp tongue." Alfie's eyes rushed around for Koda. His boyfriend looked angry and concerned and ready to take action. "Don't let them kick you out. It wasn't your fault!" he said desperately when his mother dragged him towards the door. Alfie then stared at Miss Pecan. "If Koda gets kicked out, I'll never turn up to your art class!"

"Yes you will," Molly sighed.

"No, I won't!" Alfie declared. "You can't make me!"

Morlen tried not to look amused but Alfie reminded him a lot of himself when he was a teenager, way before he turned into a bitter middle-aged man.

"It's alright Alfie, I've got this under control. I'll speak to Mister Birch separately after Koda is done."

Alfie nodded and focused his attention on walking in a straight line. "Wait!" he said when they were halfway down the corridor. He stopped and frowned to himself. "Birch? As in Ro-"

"Come on love," Molly said soothingly. "We have to get there quickly. You don't know how long they'll have us at the hospital. It could be a long visit."

The words left Alfie's mouth a little too quickly. He definitely didn't feel like himself.

Koda sat back down and Morlen noticed his rigid behaviour.