Chapter 3

"Okay then, Mads. Let's go."

We started walking together back towards the front entrance. 

"Here's the reception area. Remember that when you come in it's a pull door!"

I looked up at him, surprised. I didn't think anyone had seen.

"Yes, I saw you trying to get in," he laughed.

"Oh my god." I screwed up my face in embarrassment. "I didn't think anyone was watching!"

"I could see you from the bleachers. Didn't realise it was you until I saw you in the office though," he smirked.

I blushed and winced. How embarrassing.

"Okay, moving on..." I prompted. 

Mason proceeded to show me around the rest of the school. To my surprise, he actually did a pretty thorough job, efficiently touring me around each of the four main buildings as well as the auditorium and finally, the outdoor high school sports stadium.

"Here we are," he gestured with a wide sweep of his arm, "the final stop on our tour. Perhaps the most wonderful, incredible, magical sanctuary this place has to offer."

I raised an eyebrow and dubiously looked up at the bleachers he was gesturing towards. He must be joking.

"This?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Really? Is that just because it's one of your 'top three smoking spots'?" I questioned, quoting Mrs Waters.

"No, come on, let me show you!"

And then all of a sudden, he had grabbed my right hand with his left and started pulling me towards and up the bleachers, tugging me along behind him. I ungraciously half-ran up the bleachers in an attempt to prevent being dragged up them.

"Mason-"

He turned around to face me and carried on walking up the bleachers backwards, thankfully at a slower pace. He was still holding my hand. 

"Just wait, Maddie. It's worth it, I promise!"

"Turn back around! You're going to fall!!"

He smirked and informed me to 'relax' and that he was 'fine'. But he turned back round nonetheless. 

Moments later we reached the top of the bleachers. Mason stood on the platform at the back and I stood on the highest row of benches, looking up at him. 

"Turn around," he said softly.

I awkwardly rotated within the small space I had on the bench. Once I had manoeuvred so that I was facing the other way, I looked up, and was met with the most spectacular view. I could see the town of Bluedale, surrounded by luscious forests nestled within the surrounding mountainous valley, and far off in the distance, a shimmering deep blue lake that extended into the horizon. 

I stood for a moment, taking in the sight. Mason hopped down onto the bench beside me, his boots clanging against the metal. He sat down on the platform, feet apart on the bench with his elbows resting on his knees.

"It's so...beautiful," I whispered.

I sank down so that I was sitting on the platform next to Mason. With my feet planted firmly together on the bench, I crossed my arms and rested them on my knees. 

He fiddled with his hands as he looked up at the view, squinting a little against the glare of the sun.

"I like to come here sometimes," he said after a moment of silence, his voice low and soft. "I just need to get away sometimes, you know? Like-"