Chapter 4

We're all in the cafeteria. Dominic, Ruby, Luke, and I are all huddled together, whispering to each other, while the officers decorated in blue peel the letters from the walls. There's a small window that people take turns spying through on each door, but when I looked through it, I could barely make out any figures. All anyone knows is that the Auburn Police Department is determined to apprehend the to-be shooter-- who's apparently smart enough to corrupt damning video evidence.

"They've gotta find something, right?" Ruby asks softly. "I mean fingerprints, hair, sweat, anything they can use to identify him."

"I don't know, Rubes," I reply, wrapping my arms around myself. I've been shivering all day, though I can't be sure if it's due to actual temperature or the creepiness of the whole ordeal. "If they were smart enough to get rid of the footage..."

The unspoken words of my sentence hang over us like a cloud. Ruby looks away, feet playing anxiously against the tile, while Luke doesn't so much as blink. He's had a dazed expression on his face ever since he heard the news, and whenever we've tried to check in on him, he's been unresponsive. Whenever things take a turn for the worse, he shrinks within himself and hides from view. It's nearly impossible to get him out of that state and it's always an uphill battle.

"They'll find something," Dominic assures, returning from his post at the window. He gives a small shake of his head to let us know that he didn't see anything useful. "The police always find something."

I shoot him a sideways glance. He's the only one of us who isn't shifting nervously from foot to foot or staring numbly at the floor-- the only one who isn't afraid. Instead, he looks almost relaxed, posture as slouched as ever.

However, I can see past the facade. A muscle just under his jaw clenches and unclenches every few seconds and there's a darkness to his face, his eyes serious and cold. He's a good actor, but he's as terrified as the rest of us.

The door suddenly squeaks open loudly, making all of us turn our heads. In stumble two students with their bags in hand, escorted by an officer each. My shoulders sag in relief as I recognize the tall brunette and her slightly shorter ginger companion. Immediately, I wave them over.

"Thalia! What the hell is going on?" Cassidy immediately exclaims upon reaching me. Russell nods, an arm draped protectively around her shoulders.

"Yeah, why did two police officers just shove us into this room?" he snaps, though I know his anger isn't directed at me. I'm quick to fill the two in and the rest of my group eagerly chime their opinions as soon as I finish. Even Luke adds a murmured syllable here and there.

"Holy shit," Cassidy breathes. She pulls her boyfriend closer to her almost subconsciously, bright green eyes suddenly wary. "Someone here wrote that? Seriously? To think, I knew everyone here when we were all barely five..."

"I guess we don't know anyone here. Not anymore," I reply, a sudden lump in my throat as I gaze at the faces around me. Hunter. Piper. Lilliana. Georgie. I can remember all of their names and all of us together on playgrounds, stirring up trouble, but I can't recognize who they are now. Hunter, the artist, seems withdrawn in his group of druggies-- a group he definitely is uncomfortable to be part of. Piper, the goody-two-shoes, has her hand interlocked in his, pink-tinged eyes telling me that she fits right in. Lilliana, shy Lilliana, projects a brave face; Georgie, happy-go-lucky Georgie, showcases a fake smile.

Dominic's eyes roam over the new additions to our huddle, curiosity evident in his slightly furrowed brows. I lightly touch his shoulder so that he turns to look at me.

"Sorry," I say, realizing my mistake in not acquainting them, "she's Cassidy and he's Russell."

He sends them a polite nod. Just as he opens his mouth to presumably introduce himself, Russell cuts in with, "You must be Dominic, right?"

Cassidy snorts as he pauses in confusion. "We have bio with Thalia right after lunch, you really think she didn't tell us everything?"

"Oh. Right," he replies, a hand rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

Thankfully, before an awkward silence could descend upon the group, Mr. Decker's voice comes on the loudspeaker. "Attention all students, please return to class. All students, please return to class." The PA system abruptly cuts off with a brief, ear-splitting whine.

We all say our goodbyes and head our separate ways, but the hallways seem different now. Emptier. Lonier. My head swivels side to side as I scan for danger that seems to be able to come from any angle, breaths and pulse refusing to slow even as I try to remind myself that I know this place, that this is a safe place. All I can think is that it doesn't seem so safe anymore. Nothing does.

When school is finally over, I can hardly wait to get the hell out of dodge. I pack up in record time and jog through the crowd; a probable reason for my speed is that exactly twenty-four hours ago, Colton rushed me-- and he might try to do it again. With the threat from the letters already hanging over my head and a bruise that's barely healing, I need a break before I can deal with him. Running isn't a permanent solution, but it'll work for today.

With my legs already weary, I decide to take the back exit in favor of a shortcut to my house. It does lead through the woods, but it's a well-trodden, populated path I'm beyond used to and shortens my walking time considerably. 

I'm in the parking lot when I hear a shout. I glance over, curious, only to see a large, slightly blurry figure racing towards me from just beyond the doors. It doesn't take a lot of common sense to realize it's Colton, but just like yesterday, my legs lock up.

My mouth is dry. Too dry. I desperately tell my brain to move my legs, to get me out of here, but all I manage to do is stumble back a few steps. Only when he thuds close enough that I can make him out clearly do my legs regain feeling. I spin around, feet barely touching the ground as I sprint towards the forest path. If I get there, I can outrun him; I know where all of the exposed tree roots are, and it's a nasty tumble if you trip on one.

I burst through the trees, Colton hot on my trail. My heart erratically crashes into my ribcage and I can't seem to catch my breath. My palms, slippery with sweat, push a few branches away, making me realize that I've turned away from the path and that I'm just running deeper into the heart of the woods. If I can't find my way back...

He's too close. I can hear him thundering through the bushes behind me, so close that I can make out most of what he roars at me.

"Thalia!"

Panicking at the yell, I stumble over a root that overlooks a steep hill. Unable to regain my balance, my body begins to careen downwards-- until a beefy hand grabs my arm and hauls me to my feet.

"What are you doing?" he exclaims. "Are you fucking crazy?"

"Me?" I retort, pulling my elbow roughly from his grip. "You're the one chasing me through the woods!"

"I just wanted to talk!" He takes a deep breath and a step back, appearing calmer as he looks back at me. "That's what I was trying to tell you, but you took off running."

"Yeah, 'talk'," I mutter venomously. "Like we talked yesterday?" I ask, gesturing at my ever-growing bruise.

He sighs. "No, Thalia. I'm here to apologize."

I blink, at a loss for words.

Seeing his opportunity, he launches into explaining himself. "Listen, when all of this first started, I was pissed at you. Foaming-at-the-mouth pissed, though that's not too out of character for me lately. But now? That letter made me take a hard look at myself, at my peers. I don't want to end up like the person who wrote that letter and I don't want anything bad to happen to anyone at Millenium High. The letter made me realize that I'm on a bad path. I want to start being better to people, and that starts with you. So, Thalia, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for pushing Dominic around and I'm sorry for socking you in the jaw."

I look at him blankly, torn between anger and his apology. It only takes a few moments for me to decide that bruises heal and that it's better for everyone if Colton is encouraged to turn a new leaf.

"Apology accepted."