Chapter 5

The next day at school, I arrive late.

It was a combination of oversleeping, general slowness, and hitting every busy crosswalk on the way. Needless to say, I was pretty intent on hustling to my first hour, only to discover that the rest of the student body is gathered once more in the cafeteria. Double the amount of officers as yesterday scan the hall, quickly spotting me as I enter. My gaze, however, is unfocused, seeing only the new letter taped to every wall. Additionally, one is plastered to a locker-- mine.

A mixture of cold fear and detached apathy leave me rooted to the spot, words from the page blurring together and swimming across my vision. Dizziness washes over me, but I somehow drift forward. An officer with a bushy mustache demands of me to stop, but I just murmur, "That's my locker," and approach it.

Dear Millenium High,

The idea that you can catch me is downright idiocy-- though I suppose I shouldn't expect anything better from you-- as my mission is not only God's will, but my own, and my will is as strong as steel. Rest assured, your judgment day will come to pass, and any efforts to stop me will be futile. As a closing, I must warn you: don't get in my way. My patience is already wearing thin.

-- Phoenix

Why my locker?

Could it be a fluke? Or is 'Phoenix' singling me out? Why? What did I do to anger someone targeting my school as a whole?

Questions flood my brain unbidden, but I'm given one answer as I open my locker despite the letter on it. A small slip of paper drifts down from my locker's depths to land at my feet. Distantly, as if I'm looking from above, I see myself bend to grab it. Written in thick, dark lead-- clearly run over with extreme pressure more than once, occasionally to the point of stabbing through-- is my name.

The last thing I see is the unfocused face of the mustached officer before the world goes black.

"She's making this a bit of a habit," a familiar voice says.

Haggardly, my eyes flutter open to take in an amused Ruby, a concerned Dominic, and a Luke that does his best to send me a smile. I rise to my elbows to eagerly accept each of their hugs in turn, though Luke's only consists of one arm and my head is pounding.

"And it's not a habit," I reply when the meet-and-greet is complete. "It's only been twice."

"Within three days!" Ruby shoots back. "Oh, by the way, Cassidy and Russell stopped by during lunch, but you were still very unconscious. They send their best regards."

"How long have I been out?" I exclaim, rushing to get to my feet. Reminiscent of a day not too long ago, Dominic has to steady me and steer me back to the bed.

"It's the end of the day, Thalia," Ruby says.

Just as my eyes bug out in surprise, Dominic's dark hazel eyes find mine and unexpectedly calm me. I take a deep breath, slowing my pulse to a normal level.

"What happened?" Luke asks quietly. I quickly fill everyone in, tightly balling the sheets in my palm in regret.

I'm supposed to be better than this. I'm not supposed to faint at what seems like the smallest things in retrospect. I'm not supposed to be weak. I'm not supposed to fall apart that easily.

However, like Dominic, I'm also apt at hiding my emotions. Even to my closest friends.

"Well, shit, I'd've passed out too," Ruby says. "That's intense."

I shrug. "It's just a lot in a short time, y'know?"

She briefly acknowledges me with a short nod before continuing with, "Oh, one more thing..."