~Chapter 9~

"Sometimes it's okay if the only thing you did today was breathe."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zayn struggled in the unknown man's arms, but it was useless. Nonetheless, Zayn continued to struggle even when he heard the voice speak.

"God dammit, why must you be so difficult? I tried to do something nice today, but good deeds never seem to go unpunished. I'm a weak and fat man, okay? I don't workout because I don't have motivation. So could you help a fellow man out, and stop it?"

Zayn stopped and turned around to be met with a pair of brown eyes, only they weren't the puppy dog eyes that were oh so familiar. The man didn't actually seem fat, in fact, he still seemed to be fairly young.

"I'm Mason, and you are?" the man, now known as Mason questioned. Zayn hesitated, but answered anyway.

"Um, it's Zayn. Can you uh let me go now?" Zayn questioned awkwardly.

"No can do mate, I just saved you from making the dumbest decision of your life. If I were to let you go, then we would both be dumb," he replied. Zayn shifted uncomfortably still not used to a stranger being so caring. They sat in an awkward silence except Mason didn't seem affected by it. After awhile, Zayn realized that he wasn't moving anytime soon.

"Why are you here?" Zayn questioned out of curiosity. Mason shrugged of the question with 'to save you', but Zayn wasn't having it.

"No bullshit. Why are you here?" he pressed. Mason looked at him before proposing an alternative, "How about this, if I tell you, then you have to answer one of my questions truthfully."

Zayn nodded his head in agreement really curious to see what Mason had to say. Mason sighed, but continued on anyway.

"The same reason you were. Don't call me a hypocrite, I've already been called more names than I can count and I don't need someone to remind me of my many mistakes. I just thought that maybe God would forgive me if I saved a life before I took mine. I know it's stupid so you don't have to say it, but my life isn't important. According to all those letters in your pocket though, yours is. So tell me, why did you try?."

Zayn was taken aback for a moment, but took a minute to let it all sink in. He didn't ignore Mason's question at the end, he just answered it last because he felt that adressing the issue was more important.

"Mason, I didn't call you a hypocrite or stupid. You called yourself those things, not me. I personally, even though we just met, think that your an amazing person, and don't let the letters fool you. My life is worthless."

Mason's expression turned slightly stern as he replied, "No one has the right to make you feel worthless, not even you."

Zayn just gave a small smile and replied, "Likewise."

They sat in a comfortable silence until Zayn spoke up again, "Can you please let me go? I promise I won't do anything."

Mason turned red in embarrassment, "Oh yeah. You should probably get back to the people that care about you...not that I don't! I mean-" he was cut off by Zayn shushing him.

They both got up and brushed themselves off. Zayn turned on his phone to reveal multiple missed calls and texts. He didn't reply to any of them yet, but instead asked Mason for his number.

"Don't you think that would be kinda useless? I mean, I'll be dead. You should just forget about me and continue on with your life. I'll watch you from hell, so if you get the feeling that a creepy demon is watching you at night, it's me. If it's not, I will personally drag it to hell with me. Anyway, it was nice meeting you before I die," Mason shrugged offering his hand for shake.

"It was nice meeting you too, but if you go off that bridge, I'm coming," Zayn stated firmly.

"Ha, my mom used to ask me, 'if your friend jumps off a cliff will you?' I guess I would. Well actually, I'm a loser so I never had friends, but if I did, I would jump off a cliff with them. That's beside my point though, neither of us are jumping off of that bridge today. I might tomorrow when you've forgotton about me, but not today. We will both make it through, one day at a time."

"Yeah, one day at a time. By the way, you do have a friend, me," Zayn smiled. Mason looked at him funnily, "I've never had a friend before, but that seemed kinda cheesy. Aren't I supposed to ask you to be friends?"

Zayn just stared. "Uh I don't know. Let's just be friends, no cheesiness."

Mason walked with Zayn until they reached his car. "Goodbye." Zayn waved entering his car.

"Wait! I kinda liked the idea of exchanging numbers, and don't hesitate to call me at anytime. I always have time for you, literally. I have no life." Mason rambled as they swapped phones.

"Don't hesitate to call me either, I'll make time."

Eventually, they were both headed back to their own car, promising each other that they would text before midnight. Maybe, Zayn lied to the boys when he arrived home. Maybe, Zayn considered killing himself after promising Mason not today. Maybe, Niall noticed the letters in his pocket, but did not bring it up.

Maybe, Zayn would get through this, one day at a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N

Hey guys! So this one is a bit short, but I promise the next one will be better!

Dedicated to Asset_Girl for voting, and GracieTRK because she always comments and motivates me to write!