1: First-World Prom-blem

Time check?
Week 1, Morning.
Senior prom's in like, 3 weeks.

Do I have a date yet?
Yeah, sure - in my head.
Hell no.

Who can I ask?
Technically, anyone. Ideally, Him. But that's impossible.

Why is it impossible?
He's way out of my league.

Who am I anyways?
Serena Reinhart, your average, trashy siren.

I attend Spooky High, a high school in a world inhabited by monsters. Here, prom's sorta a big thing. I've heard from my sister, Sierra, that it's also a time to pop that little disgusting cherry, but that's just a myth. Just like all of us.

In Spooky High, there's your typical caste system. Because, what's a cliché without the popular crowd and the losers? I belong to the latter. Besides my 'melodic, intriguing voice' (that's what my mom told me, but isn't that what moms are supposed to say?), there's nothing much to me.

For this fairytale, the popular crowd consists of the Charismatic Six and he's one of them.

The school practically revolves around the six, as though they're royalty. I mean, at least two of them are to inherit an entire empire so, I guess there's not much of a difference.

Now that we've addressed the hot shots, there's everyone else - witches, frankensteins, you name it.

Well -

"Hey! Watch where you're going, you freak! Cute shoes, by the way!"

That was when I was shoved, and a little stabbed. I guess this marks the end of the introduction.

Miranda Vanderbilt has always been known to be one of the sweetest monsters you'll ever meet, but you know what, she scares me a lot. I've once seen her sharpening one of her many knives in the bathroom. It was not a pleasant sight.

With her arms wrapped around Him who had a look on indifference on his face, as always. They sauntered through the hallways as though they (more like Miranda) were strutting down a runway. As usual, they were nothing less than gorgeous. They looked like they belonged on the cover of Monsters Weekly, weekly.

"Serena!"

I could never not recognise that scream of a banshee's.

Lydia Shriea has been my best friend since our tiny monster days. Our moms met at her dad's third funeral, don't ask, and well they decided to predestine our friendship. Lyd's a nice gal, apart from her shrieks, she's tolerable most of the times.

"Hey Lyd."

We gave each other the tightest hugs we could muster. Crk. There goes one of my ribs. I guess I'll have that checked at the infirmary later.

"Oopsies! I've been training up my muscles so I can be strong like Scott. I heard from Janitor Cyclops that he likes strong girls. Or was it strong-witted? Anyways, have you gotten a date for prom yet?"

"Ahaha.. No. I've barely thought about it actually."

Liar. I've actually made charts and maps about who to ask and when. But all roads seem to lead back to Him.

"Well, if you can't get a date, you could always ask Brian. As far as I know, he's currently dateless."

Brian's an above-average-looking Zombie, but Lyd would say that he's as hoT as Him, but for me, not quite.

Just as I was about to shoot down her idea, the bell rang.

Time to skip gym!

I punched Lyd goodbye, but I probably didn't even manage to make a dent.

I decide to head for the bathrooms.