4: Dress Mess

As I had accompanied Lyd to get her stupid dead roses on the way to class, I was late to class. Thankfully, the professor didn't mind, so all's good. I bet if someone sets fire to all the chairs or committed a mass murder, he still wouldn't mind.

The only seat available was in between Liam de Lioncourt and Oz. I didn't know much about either of the two, but I do know that they had something going on. As I took the seat, I felt some strange force in between them that was over my seat. Maybe that's the sexual tension I've always been reading about. Or maybe this was all just far-fetched assumptions.

Throughout the class, I actually managed to make notes and even, get this, answer a few of the questions asked. I did feel a little smarter.

Halfway through class, Liam turned towards me and started some small talk with an agenda. Not that he really had an agenda, but I had the feeling that he did.

"Scott said that your name's Reinhart."

"Yeah, whatever." I was kind of focussed on the dissection of pentagrams and its origin. Hm, Damien would enjoy this class.

Sensing my disinterest, he continued,"I'm going to go straight to the point. I'm Liam," like the whole monster population didn't know who he was,"and it's my turn to do a skit during Theatre Arts next week. I was wondering if you could, I don't know, sing a piece of ancient melody that I've procured in advance as I make my grand entrance, with this background of symphony."

"Just because I'm a siren doesn't mean I can sing well." As much as I loved singing in my head, I'd never do it aloud in front of a bunch of monsters who'd judge me. It's too pressurizing.

"Actually, it sort of, does? Sirens are known for their seduction through looks and music! My brother eloped with one and man was Daddy pissed!"

Seated in front of me was none other than Miranda Vanderbilt. It seems that she doesn't usually pay attention during class. She shifted her chair completely to face Liam and I, as though she was joining the conversation that I was desperately trying to get out of.

"See, even Miranda has a point. I'll tell you what, I'll fax you a copy of the sheet music and we can meet later at the auditorium after school to rehearse."

"Fax? Wha-"

"By fax, he means that he'll slip it through your locker later on! So now that that's settled, have you gotten your dress for prom yet? For me, I'm still undecided about what to wear! I'm thinking of either showing up in one of my, urgh, old gowns or just coming to prom naked! What do you think?"

As I may have already said, Miranda Vanderbilt is a woman of many mysteries. One can never be too sure about this sweet exterior that she portrays (See: knives sharpening incident). She was speaking to me in a way that she would to a friend, but I wouldn't know because I am definitely not one of them.

"Um, I don't exactly have a dress in mind, but I think that you could just go to the store and get a new one for prom..?"

Miranda stared at me for a while, as though she has never heard of what a store was. After what seemed like a minute, she whipped out her phone and started texting rapidly.

"What's your name again?" She suddenly looked up and asked.

"Serena."

"How charming. So, Serena, we're gonna go dress shopping after school today because Vera and Polly have plans. How inconsiderate of them!"

"Uh, I kinda have to-" Crap. How do I get out of this one?

"Get another shopping buddy, Miranda. Serena's going to help me with my rehearsal, remember?" And Liam steps in to save the day.

"Fuck off, Liam. Your performance is nothing compared to my prom attire. In fact, you can shove your vampire costume right up your-"

"Ahem, you don't have to be that crude, Miranda. Why don't we just ask Serena about who'd she rather help."

Both of their heads jerked in my direction. I think Liam was trying to give me puppy (puppies are gross) eyes but it made his eyes water and his cheeks puff out. Miranda, on the other hand, was smiling so widely, her cheeks were turning pinker than her skin. Her eyes screamed murder though.

I had to choose the lesser of two evils, and I didn't have the choice to just walk away from this. Would I rather spend my evening singing or shopping? I hated doing both, but singing was my passion. But then again, I have to do it in front of a crowd, so I guess I hate it. Apart from that, shopping with Miranda seems really dangerous and I would really not want to end up dead in some random isolated dressing room for years. I guess we have a winner.

"I..I think I'll help Liam. After all, the performance does make up his grade for Theatre Arts.." pleasedon'tkillmepleasedon'tkillmepleasedon'tkillme.

Miranda let out a seemingly light-hearted chuckle. "Very well then. I guess I'll see you around, Serena." With that, Miranda turned her chair back around and went back to filing her nails. Ha, well that could've gone so much worse.

"Six p.m. Auditorium. Don't be late." Liam turned his attention back to the board, leaving me to drown in my sea of regrets.