THE DINNER

Chapter 23

OSAGIEDE

I looked at him while he slept.

I couldn't stop myself.

Before I knew it, I began caressing his handsome face. I traced his well-defined jaw, feeling the rough stubble beneath my finger tips. I took in his full lips. These lips have done a number on me many times. They were slightly parted, a light snore filtering through them.

My heart squeezed with love for this man --- my husband.

He was everything Geoffrey wasn't --- kind hearted, selfless and patient. Too patient, but most of all, he was a wonderful father. I was so honoured to have him as my husband.

I should never have gotten back with Geoffrey. What the hell had I been doing all this while Cavorting like a damn prostitute.

Sobs racked my body once more, as words spilled unheeded from my lips.

Forgive me my love, forgive me for all the wrongs I've caused you... two times over.

He stirred beside me and my heart leapt into my mouth.

Had he heard me?

Oh God, I hope not. I couldn't stand any form of scorn from him. I wouldn't be able to survive it. I had come to love him so damn much, it hurt.

Tendrils of memories began to form in my mind as I went down memory lane.

What do you think?

I twirled in front of him, my tule dress swirling around my knees. I felt like a princess.

Did I look that way in his eyes?

He stared at my face as I bit down on my lower lip in nervousness. They slid to my bosom and lingered a bit longer than was proprietary. I put my head down and bit down harder on my lower lip.

His eyes slid down lower and rested on my legs, then moved back up to my face, where it rested there for some long seconds. I felt absolutely naked under his gaze. They blazed with a passion I had never seen on any man's face while looking at me. His gaze never wavered from my face as he whispered the words --- you are absolutely stunning.

I looked down, suddenly shy and bit down harder on my lips.

"Don't do that!"

I didn't know when he had come close. He was like a cat. Quiet and stealthy. His fingers grazed my lips. I didn't even know they were sore, until he touched them.

I winced.

"Please. Don't ever mar yourself. They are perfect, just like every part of you is perfect. Just for me."

He always knew how to make me feel special. It was our two year anniversary and he wanted us to go out to celebrate, but we ended up staying at home, all because he couldn't keep his fingers to himself.

I came back to the present, smiling. I glanced at him once more, as I cleaned the tears from my eyes and sidled down lower unto the bed. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, but sleep didn't come, so I gingerly held unto his waist. He didn't budge. He was out like a light. I snuggled closer and within seconds, sleep claimed me.

The next few days saw Eyare being extra sweet to me. He spoiled me with gifts everyday, little knick knacks, like ice cream and snails which he knew I loved. He came home early everyday, straight from work. I hated it when he drank. He became sloppy and indifferent towards me.