5 - You Make My Heart Go Doki Doki

"Oh, what the fuck and hell shit-" Lance muttered, peering over the edge of the web. They were suspended between two buildings by a hammock-like web Pidge had put together earlier in the day. He usually wasn't afraid of heights, but the web wasn't exactly stable.

"Would you relax? I'm not gonna let you fall." Pidge snorted.

Lance gave her an uneasy look but settled down nonetheless. The view was actually pretty nice from where they were. It was dark and the city lit up with orange lights glowing from the apartments around them, taking place of the stars covered by the heavy pollution. They were nothing alike, and truth be told Lance always preferred the real night sky, but he could appreciate the beauty of New York City.

He relaxed on the web as Pidge shot a web to a picnic basket on the roof of a nearby building and pulled it towards her.

"How cliche," Lance giggled. Pidge shrugged and offered him a deli sandwich.

She took out a ham sandwich that looked homemade and bit into it. They ate in comfortable silence. Well, the city was never really silent, he figured, always a car horn or dog bark or soft voices coming from the apartments near him. But the background noise was comforting.

"Hey," Pidge said softly after a moment. Lance snapped from the fantasy land he was in to her.

"I'm in love with you. You know that, don't you?"

They both froze. Lance could feel his breath hitch and he could see Pidge tensing her shoulders. She looked down as if she were ashamed to say it.

"You're always right there... you're so forgiving, and kind, and genuine, and-and I really don't deserve it all, but you-" she cut herself off with a sniffle. Is she crying?

"Katie..."

Lance couldn't help but lurch forward and wrap Pidge in his arms. She buried her face into his chest, round glasses jabbing into his body, and balled up the fabric of his shirt in her small fists.

I cannot believe I fell in love with Spider-Man.

"Sorry, this is so stupid-" she mumbled.

"No, it isn't, I'm in love with you too."

She pulled away and stared at him with red-rimmed eyes. Tears stained her cheeks. "Yeah?"

Her voice was so small and soft, Lance almost wanted to laugh. But he figured laughing would be the worst thing he could do in this scenario, so he smiled ear to ear and nodded.

"I love you. So much."

She pulled him back into the hug and wrapped her arms and legs around him, clinging to him like a koala. "This week sucked."

Lance laughed at that. "Yeah."

"You made it better," she mumbled, "you make everything better."

He grabbed her cheeks and pulled her in for a kiss. They stayed like that, as silent as the city could get, as much love as they could share with each other.

Eventually, Pidge pulled away and gave him the warmest of warm, loving gazes, Lance could've melted right there.

"Wait."

"Hm?" Lance hummed. "What?"

"This isn't right."

His stomach dropped and he felt like crying almost instantly. Why? Why isn't it-

"I haven't even given you your present."

He huffed out a laugh. Right, right. That's why.

She dug through her backpack before pulling out a bag with bright blue ribbons attached to it. "For ye."

He chuckled and looked into the bag. He sifted through the green tissue paper, until he landed his eyes on something he definitely was hallucinating. He blinked. It was still there, so he blinked a few more times.

"You did not."

"I did."

He slowly craned his neck up to look at her. "You did not."

She had the most sly smile on her face. "Mmmmmhmmmm."

He pulled out the camera -- the new fucking camera he'd wanted for months that was probably over a thousand bucks but took godly photos -- the camera that was his -- and held it in his hands.

Lance loved photography. He just did, it was his hobby. It was his job at the Daily Bugle. He knew Pidge knew that, but she never commented on it, or even mentioned it. He just figured...

Well fuck whatever he figured, because by the pure unadulterated joy on Pidge's face, he was wrong.

"Katie!" He near screamed, and pulled her into a tight hug. "You are the best human to ever exist. Ever. I don't-- how did you even-- what the fuck!?" he couldn't help bursting into laughter, and she followed him soon after.

"I tested it out, it takes great pictures."

Understatement of the year, Lance thought. He turned it on and scrolled through the previous photos taken. There was only one. The most breathtaking, colorful sunset he'd ever seen.

"You took this?" He marveled.

"I know you love them. Hard to see a real sunset through all the buildings. But I know my way around." She winked.

He couldn't even speak, he just pulled her close and pushed back tears. She rested her head on his shoulder and laced their fingers together.

"I know the first picture I'm gonna take." he finally spoke softly. She looked up at him without moving from her position.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," he wrapped an arm around her and flipped the camera so the lens pointed at them. "Say Spider-Man!"

She rolled her eyes but smiled widely. "Spider-Man."

He took the photo and stared at it. Every ounce of happiness encapsulated in one small frame.

"That's a keeper." he sighed, smiling brightly. Pidge wrapped her arms around his and nuzzled into his shoulder.

"I can't believe I fell in love with you, Lance Watson." she spoke into his shoulder. He barked out a laugh.

Yeah, he thought, completely unbelievable.