Chapter Three

I sit against the wall, shivering. The bully lies writhing in the mud.
I'm so surprised. What just happened? When I said I'd find out what I was like before when I actually had to do it, I didn't think it would be fighting.

Fighting

A memory! Gone... Of course it is.

I finally look at the bully. Now I can't keep calling him a bully. So I say, "Hey, what's your name?"

"You're sick, man," the bully says.

"Alright," I say. "I'll call you Jack, as in jackass."

Jack scowls at me and says, "My name is Tom."

I look at Tom lying on the floor. His clothes are covered in mud and he is going to have a pretty uncomfortable night.

"Goodnight, Tommy," I say, smirking.

I walk towards the big building that I call home.
I step inside, yawning and when my eyes open to see who's before me, my eyes go wide in surprise.

"Anthony Carter," a member of staff says to me roughly. "What are you doing up at night? You know it's forbidden to walk around at night."

"Sorry, ma'am. I was just out for some fresh air," I say innocently.

"Well inside you go!" she says to me.

I scurry inside and go to my bed. I sneak in under the warm, velvety sheets. The warmth makes me a little happier. I decide not to think too much about what happened tonight. Tom will know not to mess with me now.

I drift into an unsettled sleep.

+++++++++++++

I find myself jumping out of bed because the huge bell goes. I quickly get dressed into the school clothes that a woman had given to me the day before. It was a simple uniform. Grey pants , short for summer, long for winter and a white shirt with a navy blue jersey. I had new, black and uncomfortable shoes. They shine dully.

I quickly go down for breakfast and realize I'm late. Everyone is already leaving for school. I look at the porridge, which I had grown fond of, regretfully. Then I shrug and hurry on outside with an empty stomach.

Everyone is packing onto the school bus and when I see George, I quickly slip into the seat beside him.

"Hey," I say, out of breath.

"Bad morning?" he asks me.

I grunt in reply and settle down.

"You excited?" he asks.

"I don't know. I'm not sure what to expect," I say.

It takes a quarter hour to the school. When I look at it, I'm amazed...

By how DULL it is.

It's a simple, small school with no decorations, just brick upon brick. Everything is so boring that I have to look at George to stop myself becoming depressed. But then I remember, George is also boring.

Everyone starts getting out of the bus and friends meet up with friends. Everyone is standing outside, waiting for the school bell. I just get off the bus when the bell rings.

I sigh and sling my backpack over my shoulder.

++++++++++++++

I'm walking through the cafeteria with my lunch in my hand. I look around me and catch someone's eye. It's Tom. I glare at him and he glares back. Then I square out my shoulders and walk to where George is sitting, already eating.

I sit down next to George.

"Hey, man," I say.

"Hey. This is a really great place, hey? I can't believe all the facilities it has. And there are people like me! I mean, I'm always the odd one out. Now I feel like I really fit in," he says hurriedly.

"OK," I say, having not heard a single word he just said.

Lunch break is quickly over and we go to our next classes. I sit down at my desk and fold my arms, leaning back. Some random dude puts a note on my desk and I move to read it.

"Hey new kid," it says. "You're hot. Wanna hang  out sometime? P. S. I'm Kira, the girl three desks behind you."

I look behind me and sure enough is a girl, waving her hand at me sheepishly. I stare at her nonchalantly. She gives me a grin as I turn away. She's pretty, but not my type.

Quickly I write on the same piece of paper," Hey, Kira. Sorry, not interested. You're not my type."

I get up and hand her the paper. She bites her lip seductively. She then reads the paper as I go to sit down.

I watch her and her eyebrows knit into a frown. She looks up at me and I grin and wave sheepishly.

She gives me her best death stare but I continue to grin and only turn away when the teacher walks in.

++++++++++++

First boring day of school. Check.
Supper. Check.
Homework. Nope.
I sit there. The homework stares up at me and I groan and lean back. I just don't get it. I decide to ask George.

"George," I say, knocking on the door.

"Hey," he says awkwardly. I look at the girl sitting next to him.

"Oh, I didn't realize you had company," I say, not really caring whether he had or didn't have.

"Yeah," he says.

A few seconds pass awkwardly and then I just grin.

"What?" George asks innocently.

"Well, are you going to introduce your lady friend to me?" I ask, grinning maniacally.

"Oh! Sorry. Anthony this is Barbara, Barbara this is Anthony," he says quickly.

I step forward and kiss her hand jokingly.

"M'lady," I say, then laugh.

She blushes. She then straightens the petite glasses in her round face. I look back at George and he has a strange expression on his face.

"So, George, mind helping me with this homework. I'm really confused" I say.

"Sure. If you don't mind, Barbara?" he says, looking at her.

"No worries," she says.

George quickly explains it to me in such a way that I immediately get it.
We spend less than 5 minutes on it. All the while Barbara watches from the side.

"Thanks, man," I say, nodding my head in acknowledgement.

"No problem. If you need more help, I'll be here,"

I step out of the room. A few minutes later I'm in my pajamas and ready to sleep. I'm deciding to sleep early tonight because tomorrow was a big day.

Emotions swirl through me. A mixture of excitement, anticipation and resentment.

Finally I settle down into sleep. Thankfully, nothing bad happens.

So sorry for the inconvenience. I took really long to write this chapter. I hope you all enjoy. I am going to be very busy this week and so I don't think that I can get much writing in. Sorry 😩

Thank you for reading. Please don't forget to...
VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW!
Stay safe and Happy Reading!!
❤️📖