Chapter Thirty-Three: Parrish

When they got back on the road, Parrish sat up front with Crash. She refused to look back and see if Noah and the new girl were snuggled up together the way she'd found them in the clothing store.

Her heart was all the way in her toes. She didn't want to admit just how much she was growing attached to Noah. She'd always been attracted to him, but lately it had seemed like there was something more growing between them. The other night on the roof, he'd really been there for her. Maybe she had read way too much into it and he was just being her friend in a rough time.

Parrish crossed her arms in front of her chest and stared out the window.

It was a dangerous time to let herself get attached to anyone, anyway. No one knew if they were going to be alive two hours from now, much less long enough to have a real relationship. It was stupid.

She would be much better off concentrating on survival and not letting silly things like this bother her.

Good luck with that.

She was already bothered, and nothing was going to change that. What exactly was going on with them in that store? Was he about to kiss her?

She tried her best to shrug it off, but every time the girl laughed or she heard the low rumble of Noah's voice in the back of the truck, her shoulders tensed.

"Do you have any music we could listen to?" she asked Crash.

He glanced at her and smiled. "I thought you'd never ask."

He reached into a small pocket on the inside of his green army jacket. The jacket was hardly recognizable as its old self with the sleeves torn off, but it seemed to look right on Crash. He had a bit of military spirit about him, even if he did like to break the rules. It made him both complicated and awesome at the same time.

He pulled out a small USB flash-drive and handed it to her.

Parrish raised an eyebrow. "What's this?"

"Music," he said.

She held back a smile. "Duh. What kind of music? I don't want to pop this in and find Justin Bieber blaring through the speakers."

Crash rolled his eyes. "Just play it."

Parrish stuck the thumb drive into the USB slot in the stereo and waited. She was hoping for anything but Classical or teen pop. What played was neither. To her surprise, Crash had loaded the drive with everything from The Beatles to Eminem. She was pleased.

An old Metallica song came on, and she turned the music up as she and Crash sang along at the top of their lungs.

And for just a little while, she forgot about Noah, the fires in Baltimore and D.C., her sister dying alone in New York, and the end of the world as they'd known it.

, her sister dying alone in New York, and the end of the world as they'd known it