Chapter Fifty-One: Crash

It felt good to be back inside the Humvee, even if it was just for part of the ride. Right now, this was the only piece of home he had left.

His hands gripped the steering wheel as he pulled through the gate, nodding at the guard who gave them a thumbs up.

"We appreciate what you guys are doing for us," the guard said. "Come home safe."

"We will," Crash said, and prayed to God it was true.

What were they getting themselves into?

Ever since Parrish had brought up her own doubts, Crash had started to realize just how much all the pieces didn't fit together with this girl. He'd never seen her face in his dreams. He hadn't had the feeling the fifth was close to them at all until that night when they'd found her in the closet. And ever since they'd met up with her, he'd been having the same dream over and over, like he was supposed to find someone else.

At first, he'd thought maybe there was a sixth. That being together had made him remember someone else. But now he knew the truth. They'd never met the fifth. Lily was an imposter.

And now he was leading them straight into a battlefield with the enemy at their side.

He cleared his throat and glanced in the rearview mirror. "Everybody remember the plan?" he asked.

"We've been over it a dozen times," Karmen said. "I think we've got it."

"Just checking," he said with a nervous laugh. "The roads should be relatively clear up to the bridge, but after that we're going into unknown territory."

The sun was coming up in the east, but it was an overcast day, a slight drizzle of rain misting the windshield. Crash really hoped that didn't mean they were going to face a lot of rotters who hadn't bothered to go into hiding this morning.

If they got into too much trouble, they could always just turn around and head back early, right?

The group was quiet during the few miles to the bridge. Parrish sat next to him in the front and any time their eyes met, his stomach tightened. They both knew they wouldn't be heading home early today. They were going to find out the truth, one way or another. Today, they were finally going to get some answers.

So far, the streets closest to the armory were empty of rotters. Probably thanks to Tank's practice of running the siren a few times a day to clear out any undead in the area. Crash knew they wouldn't be quite so lucky on the other side of that bridge.

"This is it," he called, parking in the grass next to a line of stopped cars near the bridge. He turned around and looked at Noah. "Unless you think you're strong enough to move those cars and make a path for us, we're on foot from here on out."

Noah shrugged. "I guess I could try."

Hope fluttered in Crash's stomach as he watched Noah walk up to the first car. He lifted it by the bumper, but could only move it a few feet before he set it down again. He walked around to the other side and put his hands on the undercarriage between the two doors on the passenger side. He lifted and the car toppled over onto its side. Helpful, but not exactly enough space for them to squeeze the Humvee through it.

"This isn't going to work," Parrish said.

"Let's just see," Crash said. "I really don't want to have to take this on foot."

After about ten more minutes of watching Noah move one car, Crash shook his head and climbed out of the vehicle.

"This is going to take too much time," he said. "You'd have to move at least fifty cars to get us across this bridge. It would be dark by the time you were finished. Let's just walk."