The Hunters ch. 35

Author's Note: please vote and comment and thank you @tlanlanemakhanya67 and @nocturna99

FALLON

Donovan and Eloi were still in his study when I returned downstairs, I couldn't imagine what they were discussing or why he was still here, but I thought it best if I got out of the house. I knew their relationship was one of obligation and that my lack of presence was probably for the best.

Heading into town, it was my day off and I finally had some money to burn. Wandering in and out of shops I didn't know what to buy. It wasn't like I had places to go or people to see and the bookshop didn't have a dress code. It also felt strange to be doing something so mindless when the hunters were back. Even Donovan was contributing, it just felt like I should be doing something more substantial to ensure everyone's safety, but what the hell did I know.

Walking back to the car with my few purchases I hoped it had been long enough and that Donovan was gone. It felt weird that he and Eloi should be getting along and while I knew it was for the best and undoubtedly for the safety of everyone it just felt wrong. Starting back, I got half way back before the tire gave out. Pulling over to the side of the road to inspect the damage, it was a flat.

Walking around to the trunk to look for the spare a car pulled up. One of the men, rolling down his window inquired if I needed any assistance. There were two of them, both human, and fairly friendly in appearance.

"I think I've got it, thank you though." Leaning in to retrieve the spare I heard them drive ahead a little and their car pull over. Hearing their doors open I repeated that I wasn't in need of their assistance, it was just a flat after all, simple enough. Hearing them come close I felt her stir, she was on her guard. Joining me at the trunk, they stood on either side of me and before I could ask them to leave they lunged for me.

Ducking them, I felt her rise to the surface, but I tried to keep her at bay, I didn't want to kill again and she'd easily overpower them. As one of them caught me by the wrist I turned, ripping myself free from his grasp, I punched him in the face, his bones cracking against my knuckles. Cursing, he fell to the ground, blood pouring from his face. As I watched him distracted, the other took the opportunity to plunge a knife into my side and I winced. Rounding on him, I decked him too, harder than the first guy and he hit the ground hard and out cold. Pulling the blade from my side it stung a little but I tried not to dwell on it and I ran.

ELOI

Calling out for me as she burst through the door Donovan and I raced to the front room to see her there, gripping her side, bloody and out of breath.

"What happened?"

"The car got a flat and these two guys stopped," she winced, doubling over in pain. Donovan didn't say anything as he flew passed her and out the door. Calling out for some help, I pulled up her shirt to inspect her wound.

"Eloi?" looking up at me there was worry in her eyes. I could smell the poison and her running here had only circulated it faster. Picking her up, I shouted for Will as I carried her into the next room. Her heart was racing and her skin was getting cold, whatever it was it was fast acting.

Watchingthe beads of sweat cascade down her face, her normally tan skin was pale. Herbody would fight the poison, but it would take a lot out of her. Groaningagain, she started twitching, slowly at first and then her whole body beganconvulsing. Joining us in the kitchen, Will asked me to steady her as administereda shot to knock her out. Going limp, her heartbeat was faint but he assured meshe'd be fine, her body just needed time to fight the toxin. Cutting off hershirt he inspected the stab wound before cleaning it up a bit and covering itwith gauze. She was still bleeding and she would be for a while until her bodyhad rid itself of the contaminate. All we could do is wait.

"Did you find them?" Still by her side, Donovan appeared in the doorway, his hands bloody. He nodded, looking down at her once more, I instructed Will to take her upstairs and remain by her side, at least until the bleeding stopped.

Walking over to the sink Donovan rinsed their blood from his hands.

"They were tracking her, have been for some time, my guess, once she started hanging around town."

"Did they say why?"

"They weren't really in the mood for sharing, but the other one cracked after I killed his buddy." We didn't agree on a lot of things, killing being the main one, but I hoped he made them suffer. "They know it's mating season, apparently this is their new tactic. They didn't know she had been changed though, the plan was to take her to get to you and then kill you both. When she fought back, they stabbed her."

We didn't normally leave hunters alive when we crossed paths and they extended the same courtesy. But they knew where we lived clearly, by the traps they left, but if they hadn't expected Fallon to fight back or expect that she might be a werewolf then the only way they would have known to take her is if they had seen her with me. They obviously weren't watching the house, at least not very well or they would have seen her change. Donovan was right, they had to notice her in town, notice us together. The idea that I had lead them straight to her made my stomach churn. I should have insisted she quit her job or at least sent someone with her. She was too new, she didn't know to be on her guard, what to look for. It was reckless of me, but we hadn't had an attack in years and to his credit, Donovan had been single-handedly slaughtering them left and right whenever he got the chance.

If their plan was to go after mates, each pack only hand about a handful and if they were targeting females to purposely interfere with mating season the others had to be warned. It wasn't the smartest plan, to come between a pair of mates, but hunters weren't generally smart, just impulsive and grotesque. Sending word with Donovan he would inform those closest to his pack and I mine. If it was a war they wanted, they got one.