Chapter Fifteen

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The crowds of both Temple supporters, protestors, and tourists had all grown larger over the first two days of the convocation. Friday had drawn a few hundred people. Saturday estimates were of more than a thousand. By Sunday an estimated crowd thirty thousand people were filling Battery Park the Rally. The Temple had a stage set up for public services, before which there would be a march processing through the Park from the Temple to the stage.

This processional was to include all the knights inducted in the previous evenings televise ceremony, followed by squires, Unchained, and the regular congregation of Blessed and normal humans happy to be so near to so many supers. All were wearing some variation on the Temple's maroon and gold, most with the Temple's maroon cross on a golden shield emblem. The number of mundanes marching with the Templars was greatly boosted by a rumor going around that the Temple had invented a treatment that "Conferred the Blessing", giving normal people super powers.

On either side of the processional path, except on the Esplanade where it ran along the Hudson, there were barricades holding back thousands of Humanity! members and related fringe groups. Oran noticed some ugly signs and slogans in these assemblies. Several thousand onlookers were gathered further back or on advantageous overlooks. There was very little mixing between the three masses.

"I guess this is it," Bombshell said from the park entrance.

The march was due to start in about fifteen minutes. The marchers were organizing at the Temple entrance. The path would take them along Battery Place, into the park at the Harbor House, around Castle Clinton, and finally to the stage on the green in front of the Battery.

"The Justice Squad has the route along the Esplanade. We are supposed to manage the Park itself," Titan added.

"There are seven of us so we'll need to split up, but not too far apart," Bombshell continued.

"Let's get out there and make our presence known," Titan finished with a loud clap.

Oran thought the rivalry these two had was amusing, as long as it did not hurt their combat efficiency. The team started to spread out into eh the park, first checking in with the police squad commanders in their area. The police foot units would be the first line of control. Backed up by the mounted units and the riot squads, if needed. There were even a couple of portable water cannons held in reserve. Several ambulances were arrayed behind a mobile medical tent. It looked like they were ready.

Oran landed beside several officers next to several horses. Probably not the best idea, he thought as half the animals shied away from his surprising presence and pulsing nimbus. "Sorry. Should of thought that through better. I'm Pulsar. I'm with YoungBlood. I'll be your designated super this morning." Oran waved jauntily.

"Wonderful," the sergeant muttered to the officer next to him, "we've got the high school hero club backing us up." Turning to Oran he raised his voice and pointed towards the castle. "Why don't you wait over there. If we need you, we'll scream in horror."

Oran grinned and saluted. Guess we know his opinion of teen heroes.

Barricades lined the edge of the grass and trees, keeping the protestors and onlookers off the road around the ancient fortification. Oran settled near the Immigrant's statue. He appreciated the tendril-headed alien mixed among the bronze humans. Earth had many off-worlders, mostly refugees. It was fitting to publicly acknowledged them as just more immigrants.

Before the main body of the March came through several uniformed Templars moved into place to act as additional security. There was a mix of Knights - adults in helmets, armored shoulders, and kevlex jacket; Squires – teens in marron and gold tights, with shoulder pads, and a jaunty beret; and Unchained – adults in marron and gold fatigues with garrison caps and kevlex vests. Two Squires stationed themselves a few yards from Oran as the rest of the unit continued. The uniformed young woman smiled at Oran, while the young man offered him nod.