Chapter Eighteen

Unknown Date

The three moved like nothing Pope had ever seen. Faster than any human. Coordinated and deadly. Before Pope could react, Viper had closed the distance. The reptilian unleashed a rain of blows, each fist striking like an anvil dropped from a rooftop. The old soldier was on his knees with spots before his eyes. His protective nimbus seemed much less effective stopping physical attacks than energy based ones.

This was proven again when protoplasmic Lisathi stretched out spiked tentacles. Despite Pope's attempt to dodge, the alien's arms wrapped around him and constricted. He could feel the spikes gouging his skin and his muscles and bone pressing together painfully. Nothing popped, but it felt like a close thing.

Locked in place, struggling to recover from the two attacks, Pope was a sitting duck for Bota's massive blade. The giant's powerful swing sliced through Pope's nimbus, laying open a gory gash along his chest and shoulder. Black blood splattered in a dark fan across the red sand.

"Arrgh!" Pope cried out as he sprawled on his back. His nimbus flickered. Blackness pulled him towards unconsciousness.

Then a portal opened inside of him. Energy poured in, pushing back the black webs of oblivion. Ae the rejuvenation rushed through his body, Pope felt completely energized. His wound was still bleeding but he felt like he had woken from a week's restful sleep. He jerked to his feet and threw his arms wide. "Enough!"

Brighter than ever before, his nimbus pulsed in a ring. The coruscating purple power crashed into the Reivers, slamming them off their feet and into the walls of the pit. Viper crashed hard, the wal fracturing where he struck. Lisathi seemed to splash like a half-filled water balloon. Bota's impact knocked spectators off their feet for a third of the arena.

Slowly Pope's nimbus contracted, leaving the three Reivers broken against the stone. Only the giant started to stir.

Pope sent a full-strength pulse blast to prevent Bota's recovery. No need to kill them if they'll stay down. There's been enough death today.

Straightening his shoulders, Pope turned to Skaith. "Better. But not good enough."

His voice was easily heard over the silence of the crowd.

"A worthy opponent!" the Reiver chieftain roared. "Someone to test my own mettle. The pit is well pleased." He tossed Naomi aside and leapt through the mesh to the sands.

Ok, so how much tougher could this guy be? Pope thought. With these powers I can take anything he can dish out. He cocked his fist back, a pulse blast ready, and motioned with his off hand for the pirate to come forward.

Skaith backed up, planted one foot against the concrete wall and showed his teeth in a tight rictus. A second later he literally rocketed forward, flames jetting out of his cybernetic feet. He crossed the sand almost quicker than Pope could follow.

Pope raised a gravity wall between them, but Skaith smashed through it without losing momentum. Desperately, the old soldier tried to dodge. The oncoming alien anticipated the move and adjusting his aim. Skaith's robotic right fist slammed into Pope's unarmored head.

One punch! was Pope's last thought for quite a while.

~ ~ ~

Pope woke to pain throughout his body. He was in a bed, covered in a dark red sheet. The room was small, with grey walls that might once have been white or light blue/green. There were stains and odd smells all around. The doorway was blocked by a door made of metal bars and sounds of activity came from beyond. Pope attempted to rise only to discover he was manacled to the bed. He tried to flare his nimbus to melt the shackles. Opening the portal inside him to draw the energy caused pain to stab through his chest, but no other effect. Crap! They've blocked my powers again.