Chapter 1: The New Beginning

*******************

       I alight from the bus and muttered a prayer of appreciation to God for answering my prayers. I had just gotten admission to study computer engineering in a well known university in the state. It wasn't what I applied for but like they say "half bread they say is better than none". I followed the directions given to me and got to my destination 10mins later.

       Looking at building, l smiled. It has always been one of my dreams to be independent and get to live my life for once, that's all students dream for: to be independent. I brushed my thoughts from that and focused on the building. I knocked at the gate and waited for someone to reply, getting no reply I knocked again louder than before.

   "Hey, who be that" l looked towards the direction of the voice and saw a woman about thirty years old standing in front of her store at the left hand corner of the building. I didn't even notice a store was there.

    "Yes ma'am" l replied

    "You .... sabi open gate. See me, see trouble".

I felt embarrassed and looked around.

    "l am sorry" l said and stretched my hand to open the gate. I stepped  inside and locked it back.

I looked around and saw different groups of students doing their day to day activities. No one even looked toward my direction, It made me feel unwanted. I walked to the main building feeling dejected and began searching for my room.  After going round for about 15 minutes, l found it, room 305.

"What a great start, can things get any worst" l mumbled. I opened  the door and entered, locking it. I sat down on the couch, looking at my newly rented apartment.

  "It's quite big" I said to myself.

  "Who are you" a voice said behind me. l turned toward the direction scared and was surprised to see a girl about twenty or so holding a bottle dangerously at me.

   "I.... I am Jennifer, this is supposed to be...my..... my room, room 305" l said stammering, scared of what she would do with the bottle.

    "Are you sure" she questioned me  raising her eyebrow and the bottle higher towards me.

    " Y...s Yes" I said covering my head.

    "Ok" she giggled.

I sighed and kept my hands on my chest.

  "I am sorry for scaring you. I am Liza by the way", she  dropped the bottle and heading  towards the couch.

  "Well, you did but it's OK. I would have done the same although I won't be that scarily and serious" l said smiling sitting on the couch beside her.
She giggled. I looked around admiring the room, "it's perfect" l mumbled

  "I know", she smirked knowing l wasn't talking to her. I rolled my eyes. We talked and got to know each other better. I found out she is  20 years old,  a two hundred level student studying English and literature. I told her about myself too. After  some hours, NEPA brought the light, so we watched Big Brothers. I felt so relax with her even after knowing her for some hours. She is fierce and has high self esteem unlike me. I am not a big fan of Big Brothers, so l fell asleep.

   "l am a not a virgin, Fred", l heard loudly while  rubbing my eyes. I looked at the television and rolled my eyes and turned to Liza.

    "It is not too loud, l asked confused.
    "This isn't home girl, you got to relax she said demonstrating while focusing seriously on the television.

      "Hmm, l got up and headed to the kitchen and started making coffee.
Do you a cup of coffee?, l asked from the kitchen.

    "Yes,  please"

     "OK, l said making for two cups"

     "Where are your things"

     "They should be here any time from now"  l replied

     "OK. Well, it's almost 6pm o"

I made the coffee in two cups and walked to the sitting room and gave her one cup. Just has l was about to sit, NEPA took the  light. 

     "Ahhhhh, why now" l grumbled.

Liza started laughing freely, I rolled my eyes at her.

    "They bring the light by 3pm and take it by 6pm, that's their way here", She said them drank her coffee.

    "lt's quite different from where l come from", I replied. Suddenly their was a knock at the door.

    "Who could be knocking at this time, l don't have a boyfriend yet.", Liza asked.

     "Boyfriend? I questioned

She turned to me direction and brought out her tongue, shaking her head like a baby.

Rolling my eyes, l said "I am sure it is the driver who is bringing my things, let me check"

  "Alright, but let me know if he is handsome"

l opened the door and was surprised to see Mr. Duru with my things looking tired and dejected.

     "Good....evening sir", l said stuttering while taking the things from him and placing them inside. "God, me and stammering", l mumbled

     "What is good about the evening?", he reply rudely. I didn't know what to say or how to answer the question so l kept quiet.

     "She was just greeting you, old man", Liza said rudely to the him while folding her arms beside me.

      "Liza why?", l mumbled hitting my left hand on my face. He looked at both of us and was about to say something when she jammed  the door at his face.

      "Liza, why did you do that?" l said angrily but tried not to be rude.

      "Common, can't you see the old man was being rude" she said rolling her eyes.

      "But... that old man is my uncle" I said confused

      "So what, what if he is ur uncle. He was rude"
      "Ahhhh, you are so unbelievable. Just ... don't do again" l said angrily

       "Yeah yeah"

She assisted me in arranging my things while l was telling her about my experience at the gate, to which she laughed mockingly.

      " Finally, we are done. Thanks for helping" l said giggling

       "Ahh, no problem. I am coming, let me make sure everywhere is locked"