Chapter 29

Chapter 29

I trailed behind James as he headed for the dining room, both of us still in our pajamas. In the kitchen Caroline was already dressed and moving in her easy graceful way. She looked at peace when she cooked and I knew as I sat down at the table that I could watch her for hours in the kitchen. Her presence in my life was new but I felt like I’d known her for years because all the time growing up -though I loved my father- I still wished for a mother’s influence and Caroline was the epitome of the kind of mother I dreamed about. She was warm and sweet, indulgent with her loved ones.

I wasn’t jealous that James was able to grow up with her, but I was envious of whoever James chose to be with because she would be an amazing mother in law.

As if on cue, she greeted us, “Good morning kids! How’d you sleep?”

“Great thank you.”

“Really well, Mum. What’s for breakfast?” James asked, as he poured us coffee. I watched him add the right amount of creamer to mine and blow on it before bringing it to me. He seemed aloof to how affected I was by the thoughtful gesture, sitting down next to me and focusing his attention back on his mom.

“Move to the other side of the pond and now you drink that?” She made a face of slight disgust, “Don’t you want a nice cup of tea with breakfast?”

“Sure,” he answered with a smile.

“That’s better. Holly, we’re going to convert you to tea before you’re holiday’s over. Now, I made baked bacon, fried eggs, croissants, and sausage. You kids want anything else?”

I looked at the spread as she set it on the table before us. The food was steaming and fresh, mouthwatering.

“This is perfect. Thank you.”

“Thanks Mum, I think we’re all set.”

“Enjoy. I’m going to get Nana.”

I savored the scent of my coffee, breathing it in as the heat of it warmed my throat. It wasn’t Café St. Clare’s, wasn’t the most delicious flavor I’d ever experienced, but there was something about the effort to which James put in to making it for me that had me that left me satisfied and not wanting something else.

I watched him make himself a heaping plate and dig in. “It’s strange to see you eating breakfast without all of the ingredients on your shirt,” I laughed as he shoveled food into his mouth.

He gave me a smile, his mouth too full to speak.

“Good morning,” William spoke from behind us as he entered the dining room and took a seat across from James and me.

“Morning,” I spoke for both of us because James’ mouth was still full. It was surprising; he didn’t typically eat like a growing teenage boy.

William laughed at the sight before him, “She’s still the best cook ever. James gains weight every time he comes to visit. Better get some Holly or he’ll eat it all.”

I made myself a much smaller plate and began eating. It was in fact just as delicious as James made it seem, but I chose to eat slightly slower, as did William.

“Poppet stop inhaling breakfast and come give me a hug,” It was a high pitched voice from the doorway. James swallowed the mouthful of food and rushed over to hug a petite old lady that couldn’t have been over five feet tall and a hundred pounds. Her short curly hair was silver and white, matching her pale chalky skin. She looked adorable, though frail in her green knit sweater with a reindeer pin on the collar.