:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: Thirty-Six] //An Original Story//

I burst through the hallway door, the Butterfly's and my conversation still echoing in my head.

"This place will explode in two minutes."

I stared incredulously at him. Was he serious? Panic began to bubble up in this chest. "How? Why? You'll die too!"

The Butterfly smiled slightly. "Of course I'll die too."

"Why?" I demanded again.

"Just like you, I have unnatural abilities. We both need to be gone for things to be right."

I stared at him in horror. "You're wrong!"

"Am I?"

"If you didn't try to kill innocent people, there would be no problem," I told him, clenching my fists. "You could just keep your powers a secret!"

"Why should I have to do that?" the butterfly responded. "I should be able to live life the way I want with my powers. But since I have them, people always said I was weird. One person even tried to kill me."

He gestured to the scar over his eye.

"But... killing other innocent people... that's not how the world works!"

"I'm sick of this world," the Butterfly spat. "That's why I'm ending my life. And yours."

"But I'm not sick of this world!"

"It's better for people like us not to be here," the Butterfly responded simply. "I plan to accept death peacefully. You can run, but you still won't make it out of here alive."

I didn't waste another second.

And now I was lost. I clenched the glass bird in my hand, running frantically through endless hallways. How big was this place? I had two minutes to get out of this building, and one of them had definitely passed already. There was a door to my left and I stopped, yanking it open and sprinting down it.

The hallway was bare besides a long red carpet that stretched from the door I had entered in, to the door that was about one hundred meters away on the other side. I started towards the door in a rush. When I passed a window, I froze and turned towards it. Maybe I could escape from here!

I wrenched open the shutters and my eyes widened when they revealed a different room.

"What's going on here?" I muttered, sticking my head into the empty room.

There weren't any doors in it, so I didn't waste anytime checking it out. I sprinted down the rest of the hallway, winging open the door at the end of it.

I groaned when I noticed it was another hallway.

Just how big was this place?

This hallway was filled with pictures. I gave each one a quick glance as I went by. They were all abstract paintings. I pulled my attention away from them as I came to the end off the hall way, I opened up the door and ran in.

The room made my breathing catch for a moment. It was gigantic, long enough to fit two regulation size swimming pools into. The first section of the room had walls made entirely of windows. Relief flooded through me. I'd be able to escape.

I noticed a door on the other end of the room. The walls there were made of mirror. I sprinted for the door which would undoubtedly lead me to the outside. I didn't know how much time I had left until the place would blow up, but I wanted to guess only about half a minute.

I skidded to a halt when I came to the door, and yanked it open.

Brick met my eyes.

My arm fell limply to my side. I turned my head slightly, the mirror on the wall reflecting my facial expression.