TWENTY-SIX

thank u, next by ariana grande

a/n: this song has no correlation to the chapter, don't worry lol.......just a bop!!!!!

also.......do people still read this???? jk

Two nights left.

It was dragging, but two nights left at the dumpy little strip club, and I couldn't have been any happier. Spending every evening with Justin was so close I could taste it; normalcy was on the tip of my tongue.

As close as it was in the grand scheme of things, the minutes dragged on during my shifts. I felt like I had been working for three hours but when I looked at the clock, it had only been seventeen minutes in reality.

Even though she didn't deserve it, I busted my ass for Brandy. I waited tables like it was nobody's business. I filled in for Marla when her daughter was sick on the stage, while waiting tables simultaneously. I even bartended here and there. Brandy most definitely didn't deserve my hard work after the way she had been treating me over the previous weeks, but I knew she couldn't say one bad thing about me when I left.

"I'm going to run outside for a cigarette quick," I nudged Nick's arm when it seemed we had finally hit a lull. It was a Friday, and it was fucking busy. A bachelor party and two birthday parties one after the other. Our hands were full.

Before I was able to grab my coat and leave, Nick grabbed my wrist. "Hold up! I thought you quit?"

"I didn't quit. I cut back."

"You haven't had a smoke in almost a month, Ken."

"You don't know shit," I scrunched my nose, knowing very well that he was right. With Justin around, I didn't want to smoke anymore. It wasn't me, and it was also a horrible habit. Cutting cold turkey came easily, but for some reason, the stress of the busy night was getting to me. I wanted nothing more than to light one up and relax for a few minutes.

He shook his head. "Don't do it. Besides, your buddy is here. You may want to stay inside with me under close watch."

"Buddy?" I asked, tipping my head to the side. I noticed him looking in the direction of the booths, and my eyes followed. I quickly saw he was referring to the creep that followed me outside on break a few weeks prior. He wasn't looking at me, but I knew he was looking for me. "Shit," I muttered.

"Ever get the guy's name?" he dried off a few glasses before slinging the towel over his muscled shoulder.

I twisted my lips to the side. "No. But I definitely don't want a cigarette anymore."

"Maybe I should have him hang around if it keeps those nasty cancer sticks out of your mouth," he snarled. I knew he meant no harm; it was just the way we spoke to each other. "Besides, you should be using that pretty little thing on your boyfriend. You won't be able to do that if your teeth are rotting out of your goddamn head—"

"Jesus, Nick!" I held my hands up defensively, laughing as I moved back behind the bar. "Holy shit,  I get it. You know sometimes, I think you want Justin's dick more than I do."

He raised an eyebrow. "You think? Kennedy, I've openly admitted to you that I'd take him off your hands in a heartbeat. You're just too head over heels for the guy to let him go."

"Guilty," I shrugged.

Your heart-eyes are showing again, Kennedy. Settle down.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I smiled when I saw that Justin was the sender.

J: I'm not sure how I can handle two more nights of this. I miss you way too much.

Me: Your ears must've been ringing. Nick and I were just talking about you.