Chapter Three

Sally awoke early on Sunday morning to light pouring in her window. She yawned and stretched her body across the bed as far as it could possibly go. Realization hit her and she sat straight up in bed. She checked the time and mentally cursed herself. She was going to be late for work!

She was on her way out of the bed when she really took in her surroundings. She wasn't at home, she was at Montauk and she didn't have to work today. She breathed a sigh of relief. She kind of hated her job. She was just starting to calm down when she jumped out of bed again. She had remembered the man named Triton and the events of the day before.

She felt a blush creeping into her cheeks as she thought of him. Of the way he showed up out of nowhere, his green eyes shining, reflecting the sea. Her heart sped a little faster as she thought of him. Maybe she'd see him again today.

With that thought, she quickly got into her swimsuit and pulled her sundress over her shoulders. She tied the string around her neck and twisting her wavy brown hair into a messy bun. She took one last look at herself in the mirror before forcing herself out the door of the cabin.

She realized as soon as she left the wooden porch that she forgot shoes, but she didn't mind. The sand felt nice and warm between her toes. The sea was calm today, that much she could see. It sparkled in the sunlight, lazy waves frothing over each other.

She spotted him almost immediately. He was leaning against the lifeguard post, looking out at the ocean. He wasn't wearing a shirt she realized with a start.  Not that she minded, of course. He wore similar swim trunks as yesterday, but with a different design.

She approached him, working up the nerve to talk to him. She was about three feet away when he sensed her presence and turned around to meet her. She instantly got the feeling he knew she would be coming for awhile now.

She noted the necklace strung around his neck on a leather cord. It was a dark gray metal in the shape of a trident. It rung a bell—something he'd said about tridents the other day...

"Ah, Miss Sally Jackson," he said with a grin that made her heart flutter. "Mr. Triton," she replied, rocking on the balls of her feet.

"So I was thinking," Triton started, all confidence. "You're really beautiful. I was wondering if you'd want to get something to eat later?"

Her mouth parted in surprise. She stuttered, trying to find words. "I uh...I really...I would love to Triton." The man in question grinned at that.

"But I have to head home tonight. I work on Monday..." His face fell. "Hey! But wait," She desperately tried to save herself. "I'll...I'll be back next weekend! If you'd-if you'd like. I'll be back next weekend," She covered, getting continually quieter.

He studied her with a smile on his face. "It's a deal then, Sally Jackson. I'll meet you right here at 7:00 on Friday night."

He saluted her and turned around, walking back into the surf. Maybe if she wasn't watching the way the muscles in his back looked, or the shape of his ass, then maybe she would've questioned the fact that he disappeared beneath the waves.

But she didn't.