Chapter Five

The next morning, Triton was waiting for her by the surf again. Today he wore bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. He looked incredibly handsome with his beard neatly trimmed and his muscles gleaming in the sun. He was fairly slim, but muscular. He smiled most of the time, but there were times when Sally caught herself looking at him when his expression was neutral. His resting face was sturdy and menacing, something ancient about it, though he looked only thirty-two at the latest. 

The two of them made their now routine walk across the beach, padding through the waves when they brushed the shore. Triton had taken to holding her hand when they walked, but Sally didn't mind. His hands were warm and calloused; strong. She felt safe holding his hand. 

They spent all that day together, laughing and telling stories. Sally told him about how her parents, Jim and Laura, had died in a plane crash when she was only six years old. He told her he was sorry and then went on to explain how his own father was a farmer near Mt. Olympus, Washington and he'd gotten in a horrible farming accident, something garish that had to do with a scythe. He said it happened a long time ago, and he didn't have very fond memories of his father anyway, but Sally still told him she was sorry for his loss.

The next day, he was waiting for her again, and again they spent the whole day together. Sally was saddened she had to go back to her apartment and her job the next day, but she once again promised Triton that she would be back the very next weekend. 

Triton, on whim, asked her a question. "Do you have vacation days?" he asked her. She thought about it. "My boss'll give me a month, as long as I work double this week, I think." I suggested. She usually liked to save her vacation days for emergencies, or important events. She decided Triton was pretty important. 

"I'll see about vacation days," She told him. He smiled and nodded, pecking her on the cheek. She blushed and grabbed his hand, giving it a squeeze. "See you," she said, shouldering her bag and heading over to her car. 

She glanced over her shoulder to see Triton, standing right where she'd left him. "See you, my queen." She turned back around, smiled to herself and shook her head, and got in her car, driving back into Manhattan.