Prologue

Princess Sofia remembered when she first went to the Royal Preparatory Academy—otherwise known as Royal Prep or RPA. She had many memories at Royal Prep, some good and some not so good. But she had a lot of fun at this school, and she learned so much.

Sofia's first day didn't go too well because her jealous stepsister, Amber, tricked their brother, James, into pranking her by getting her to ride the Enchanted Swingset, which sent her flying into the fountain. But Sofia's years at RPA were fun anyway.

Sofia remembered trying out for the flying derby team. Everyone told her not to do such a thing because they said it was only meant for princes. But it didn't stop Sofia from striving to become the first princess on the team. During practice, she had a hard time riding her horse—and Prince Hugo made it no easier by making fun of her. During the tryout race, Hugo even made Sofia fall off her horse. But with the help of James, she got back in the saddle, and they beat Hugo to the finish line. That's when everyone saw that anything can be a princess thing.

There was one time when Sofia was chosen to host a Royal Prep tea party. She wanted to host a simple one, but Amber didn't want her to do just that—she told Sofia to host a big tea party. She took over Sofia's party plans, and the tea party looked more like a banquet. But at the last minute, everything went wrong, and Sofia took advantage of this to host the tea party she wanted—and everyone loved it. That's when Amber learned that bigger isn't always better and that small parties express who Sofia is.

Sofia remembered her first All Hallows Eve costume ball. That year, the students were to make their own costumes, and Amber really didn't like this because she never made a costume herself. When she saw Sofia's beautiful swan costume, she knew Sofia would win the costume contest. Amber wanted to win so badly that she went to Cedric and asked him for a magic spell. Amber used the spell to turn her gown into a great butterfly costume, and she won—but it turned out that the spell turned Amber into a human butterfly. Cedric said that the only way to undo the spell was with Sofia's amulet. Amber thought about asking the fairies for help, but Cedric pointed out that she'd have to tell them she cheated and used magic to make her costume. Amber was forced to wear her costume to school, and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get Sofia's amulet. When Sofia caught Amber in the act, she just offered her amulet to her sister, but Amber realized what she had done and decided to ask the fairies for help—but Cedric's pet raven, Wormwood, snatched the amulet, causing the sisters to fly after him. Then Amber told the fairies what she did, and she knew she had to return the trophy. The fairies lifted the spell, and Amber learned to never cheat or take shortcuts.

Sofia remembered getting to ride for Royal Prep in the flying derby championships against the Junior Knights Academy. But James sprained his wrist, so he couldn't participate in the championships. The only rider who could join Sofia was Hugo. She was willing to give him a second chance, but Hugo didn't feel the same way, and he refused to work with her. Thanks to Hugo's flying horse, Electra, Sofia learned that Hugo was feeling pressure from living up to his family's legacy. She offered to help Hugo get what he wanted by convincing him to do the flying slingshot with her. Although Hugo agreed to do it with her, the lesson about teamwork didn't sink in until the last minute. During the race, Hugo finally learned the meaning of teamwork, and after winning the race, he accepted Sofia as a friend.

One memory at Royal Prep Sofia had wasn't too good. Amber, James, and Vivian decided to bring their pets to school, so they could play on the playground despite knowing that it was against the rules—and Sofia let them talk her into bring Clover, too. But during sorcery class, the pets got loose, and a potion mixed them up. The pets ran loose on campus, and when the fairies found out, the royals were punished by being forced to clean up the gymnasium. Sofia promised to never let anyone talk her into doing what she knows is wrong and to never break any rules. She hoped Amber, James, and Vivian learned their lesson about breaking the rules.