Review

Overall, I think this movie was mediocre. The plot was good, as were the effects, but it all felt a little too forced. It was different from the other Warren case movies, yes, but I felt like it was trying too hard to tie into the others. As far as you can tell until the end, other than the introduction where the Warrens see the nun, there is absolutely no connection to the Warrens or their other cases in what is happening. **Spoiler Alert** At the end, and, if you're paying attention in the middle, we learn that the nun is the demon Valak faced in the other Warren case movies. **End Spoiler Alert** However, unlike the other Warren case movies, this one is not based on a true story. In my opinion, this movie would have been much better were it a stand-alone movie. Making it a prequel to the other Warren case movies, specifically the Conjuring movies, gives you unrealistic expectations that the movie does not live up to. If I had been told that I was going to see a movie about a demon that disguises themselves as a nun, rather than being told that I was going to see the prequel to my beloved Conjuring movies, I probably would have enjoyed it much more than I did. 

I won't say that I do or do not recommend this movie, just don't expect it to be what the Conjuring movies were.