Chapter 10

Trying to distract myself, I thought about Jessica. I couldn't understand why she turned into someone so hateful and mean. I read somewhere that the worst pain is getting hurt by a person you explained your pain to. And boy did I feel that she literally used everything I told her in the past and all my insecurities against me... with the help of the boy I thought loved me. I gave up things I enjoyed like Netball; I was actually really good at that. She used to come to practice just to insult me and make fun of me, to the point where some of my teammates were treating me like an outsider.

Mom was furious when she saw me, I told her that me and Jessica got into a fight and that I engaged in it as well. She wanted to have me report it, but I convinced her that I would get expelled and have it on my record, she gave me a long speech and we agreed it was best to do nothing unless Jessica acted. I knew full well this was not going to happen, because it wasn't the truth. She took me to the emergency room to make sure I didn't have a concussion or broken ribs. I had do have an x-ray and a CT scan done, the doctor said I was fine he did write me a prescription of strong pain medication. He then gave me strict instructions to stay home for at least a week.

When we got home dad and Steven ordered pizza, which we ate while watching a movie. I texted my friends on our group chat, they freaked out and said they would come by the next day.

My parents and Steven made sure I was tucked into bed and that I had everything I needed. Mom stayed behind, sitting on my bed next to me. "Shelby, you know you can tell me anything right?"

"I know mom. I don't know what came over me, we argued, and I lost it." I was shocked at how easily I lied, and I didn't even blush or bat an eyelash.

"Well, I don't want to condone violence, but we all lose it sometimes and if I were there I would've probably helped you kick her ass!"

We looked at each other and started laughing. "I think I would've loved that mom."

She stopped laughing and gave me a serious look. "I need you to know that I am here and if those two scum bags have done anything to you or try something, you can tell me. You are not alone in this, you have so many people who care for you and would do anything to protect you."

I had to swallow the tears, I didn't want any of my family or friends to get involved. It was my mess, my fault, dragging any of them into this would be selfish. "I do know that mom and I appreciate all of you so much. But I am okay, really."

"As long as you know that I would do anything to prevent you from harm. I want you to be okay, always."

The hurt in her voice was evident. I sat up slowly trying not to wake up the pain in my ribs and gave her a hug, she held me back gently. "I'll be fine mom, thank you for being here for me it helps a lot. I'm kind of tired."

She let me go and waited for me to lie back then pulled my blanket over me, giving me a kiss on the forehead. "That's what a mother is for, I love you my baby girl."

"I love you too mommy." I closed my eyes when she switched off the light and closed my door.

My phone vibrated; it was a call from Timmy.

"Hello." I answered.

"Shelby, hi. Listen Nick made me phone to check up on you." I giggled when I heard someone in the background and Timmy whispering something like: Ouch, but it's true you made me call her.

I couldn't wipe the smile from my face, did he really ask Timmy to call me? "Oh, okay. Tell him I'm doing okay and thanks for the concern."

"Well, you can tell him yourself, you are on speaker." I chuckled.